Honored Contributor

I'm watching the show. Iris is beautiful, but I have to disagree about who burns in the sun. I thought at one time I had this shade selection figured out. I actually had a MAC store artist tell me NC meant "not cool." Another one told me NC meant "needs cool."

Here's what I know. I am warm. I used to wear NC 20. I have honey blonde hair (growing up- now it's lighter!). I have hazel eyes. I look good in fall colors- gold, russet, teal, and olive, and cream. I don't look good in white. When I was young I was in the sun more. I would burn, but eventually tan a little.

When DD was a young teen she wanted MAC. (I never wore it until she did. thought the line wasn't for me until I went in to get her a set for a gift and the artist talked me into trying it. Twist my arm- LOL!). She is cool complected.She wears NW 15. She is "Nicole Kidman " fair and looks great in white, silver, bright blue, She has dirty blonde hair (that is colored brown with red highlights) and green eyes. She has finally accepted the fact that she will never tan, and embraces her beautiful light skin! 

Obviously I'm no expert, but MAC has always confused me, and still does!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I just read an explanation of their cool and warm shades. For some reason MAC considers orange, yellows and golds cool and pinks, reds, and blues warm. It is opposite from every other makeup that I have worn. Why they do this is a mystery to me. I have fair skin, blue eyes, pink undertones in my skin and blue toned veins. According to MAC I am a warm and should buy wear the NW or W. But I don't think the rep. ever explained this on the show unless I missed it. 

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey Just when I think I have it figured out, I don't.  I look and look and I get too tired of trying to figure it all out so I just say forget it.

Valued Contributor

Is it really necessary to have a zillion shades. No one is consistent of which one shade that you are. It's confusing and I give up!

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

I just read an explanation of their cool and warm shades. For some reason MAC considers orange, yellows and golds cool and pinks, reds, and blues warm. It is opposite from every other makeup that I have worn. Why they do this is a mystery to me. I have fair skin, blue eyes, pink undertones in my skin and blue toned veins. According to MAC I am a warm and should buy wear the NW or W. But I don't think the rep. ever explained this on the show unless I missed it. 

I'm with you.  She is opposite everything I've read.

Super Contributor

MAC is not correct in their definition of "cool" "warm" tones.  It is just the opposite of what the MAC rep. is saying.  Cool tone is pinkish undertone, burns easily.  Warm tone is golden undertone and tans easily.  They are just wrong in their explaination of cool and warm tones.

Respected Contributor

This show is for people who know their MAC foundation shade. I wish I could run to Nordstrom and have them shade match me because I'd order the liquid foundation. The warm cool thing is too confusing 

Respected Contributor

@rms1954    Exactly what you said. The more I listen to Iris the more confusing it is. I don't think she is doing a good job of explaining the whole cool/warm business because most of us who buy makeup were taught just the opposite of what MAC is doing. No way would I buy this makeup.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would never buy MAC foundation on the Q after the explanations of tonight. Explanations were so confusing, I'm sure sales were down. And with all SK's uummmmms ummmmms ummmms, it just spoiled the show.

Respected Contributor

So glad someone started this thread.  I thought it was just me that thought the warm burning easily was wrong.  Why does a company make it so hard to find a shade as if it is not hard enough.  I tried to use Mac foundation through the years and never could get a match.  I have never ever had a sales associate hook me up with the right color match.  I just have to figure it out myself.  I was in sephora a couple of weeks ago and bought some bobbi brown.  The lighting was so bad so I asked for help.  She assured me the color was perfect even though I felt she was wrong.  Well I got home and tried it  and it was so pasty looking.  So a trip back to return and I don't live close to sephora.  Mac is just impossible.