Honored Contributor

I'm watching the midnight show and listening to the MAC expert Fatima explain whether someone is NC or NW.

What she said is the exact opposite of what I was told when I first started wearing MAC. So I'm going to chime in.

First, this was DD's first and favorite brand when she was a teenager. DD is the fairest of the fair, cool, with green eyes. They matched her to NW15. I saw the "W." Warm? How can this be? Neutral WARM? The MAC mua, who actually now is the manager of a MAC store (she had been at Macy's), simplified things for me.

She said to think of NW or Neutral Warm as "Needs Warmth." That made sense. DD is fair (Nicole Kidman) so she needs warmth. NW15. 

I didn't try MAC until a lot later. I was happy with Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown at the time, along with others of course! I was getting DD some colors for Christmas gifts one year when one of the young girls we had come to know asked me if she could try some products on me. I always thought this line was for younger women, but she said it was for all ages. So I said OK. 

I'm warm with hazel eyes and light skin. She matched me to NC20. If I thought about what the other girl said, it made sense. NC for me translated to "needs cool." I wore NC20 for years, along with blushes, fluidlines, lipsticks, and shadows. 

So that is my MAC story. Maybe it will help someone else who is questioning the perfect shade!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Yes, it makes sense when explained like that, but, wonder why they thought they needed to be so different and confusing.  I'd like to try it. I think I read that they recently changed their formula and most people were NOT happy about it.  

Honored Contributor

I match foundations to the skin tone as it is, not trying to warm it up or add cool tones. If skin is fair, it's fair and needs a cool or neutral foundation.

Warming up my fair skin is usually impossible w/ bronzer and warm toned foundations throw off my entire face (too yellow or orange) because it does not match. 

Honored Contributor

Amber Times Nine is a warm toned palette with amber, bronze and apricot shades. The lipcolor is a warm brown/rose shade. 

If you're fair, light eyes...a definite NO to the shadow. If you want to spend your money to get 2 liners and a mascara that may be wearable, the TSV may work for you. The brown liner was described to have red in it...for cool toned skin?

Honored Contributor

Re: MAC NC or NW

[ Edited ]

The TSV is a great buy and the MAC rep said anyone can wear these colors.

Today's Special Value®: A459091 MAC Cosmetics 5-Pc Artist's Favorites Collection — Under $50, 5-Piece Collection

Regular Contributor

These are definity warm toned so I will not be buying. I wish they had offered a choice between this one and the one available next time on auto delivery. That one looks cool toned.

Honored Contributor

Re: MAC NC or NW

[ Edited ]

I subscribe to Lisa J on YouTube and she is a former MAC make-up artist and trainer.  Just last night I watched a new video from her using MAC oldie but goodie products. 

She specifically explained the shade range with MAC because she said it's very different.  The N stands for neutral and means beige undertones.  The C stands for cool which is golden/olive undertones and W is warm which is more pinky/rosy unertones.    

A product that is an NW is going to have pinky beige undertones and a product labeled NC is going to have olive beige undertones.  She said it's the opposite of what we are used to.

Respected Contributor

The Mac explanation is some artsy thing that I don't ever remember (And, I worked for Mac for a few years!).

I just know that NC is more neutral/yellow. NW is more neutral/pink & I go from there. 

I am NW18 basically, but I can wear a lot of shades around that & depending on how pigmented they are, they will work. 

I love the colors in the Amber palette. They look really pretty on. I am fair/cool/green eyes/grey hair. 

Creme In Your Coffee is my most used lipstick. It is neutral enough that it goes with most looks.

Like Mac Warm Soul Blush. When I don't want to think about what blush to use or just need a nice neutral. They should have Warm Soul as an add on purchase!

Is this set going to please everyone? No.

Is it a great basic way to try several Mac products? Yes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I match foundations to the skin tone as it is, not trying to warm it up or add cool tones. If skin is fair, it's fair and needs a cool or neutral foundation.

Warming up my fair skin is usually impossible w/ bronzer and warm toned foundations throw off my entire face (too yellow or orange) because it does not match. 

@Shanus, Thank you for adding some common sense advice.  I am very fair, and I do match any foundation to my skin, adding a bit of blush.  Nothing is worse than skin on your face different from skin tone on hour neck, in my humble view.  I rely on clothing colors or accessories to brighten my face.

Respected Contributor

I saw Shawn last night in this makeup. I think she is very attractive and looks good in almost all makeup she wears when on the air. That being said, I thought this Mac collection did nothing for her. As a matter of fact I'm going to say it, I thought she looked terrible. Of course, that does not mean it would look terrible on others. It just struck me as a bad choice for a special.