Honored Contributor

I bought the TSV on AD and usually I am a light/medium cool toned.  Looking forward to using all the products.  The colors are ones I know I'll use.  At some point down the line, I may try the foundation but will go into my local Ulta store and get matched first. 

Thank you @beach-mom for your explanation.  It made a lot of sense to me as I was confused with their shade system.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

I bought the TSV on AD and usually I am a light/medium cool toned.  Looking forward to using all the products.  The colors are ones I know I'll use.  At some point down the line, I may try the foundation but will go into my local Ulta store and get matched first. 

Thank you @beach-mom for your explanation.  It made a lot of sense to me as I was confused with their shade system.

You're so welcome @JudyL! I was so confused at first too. All I knew back then was I was hearing "warm" for DD. It would be like putting Nicole Kidman in a warm foundation! The system that was explained to me works for both DD and me, so I do hope it will help others.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@Janey2  I agree, that presentation at midnight was a hot mess.  The vendor rep and m/u artistist were very timid and Shawn interrupted them and was all over the place.  The explanation about the warm/cool skin colors was totally confusing for someone that had not used MAC before.  Hope the hour show later is better, but I don't hold out any hope; if Jane Treacy is the host will will get mostly anecdotes.  Courtney K would be better. We will see.

Honored Contributor

Re: MAC NC or NW

[ Edited ]

The eye shadows are talc based, I try to avoid talc in my shadows. 

Honored Contributor

.....I'd like to add re: the TSV that I already have the lipstick and it is a nice, neutral rose shade. I never purchase the foundations/concealers because the shades are confusing, even to me. Since Estee Lauder owns MAC, the Double Wear foundation is similar in the numbering being reversed from what most of us have learned. I'm familiar w/ DW from experience.

I've also been turned off by many MAC counter artists. Some wear over the top looks that are not appealing or univeral. I always advise, when looking for new makeup, check out all the counters and try to find an artist that has a complexion similar to yours, a look you'd like for yourself and maybe even close in age.. You'll be more apt to be happy with your purchases.

Honored Contributor

@Love orchids wrote:

@Janey2  I agree, that presentation at midnight was a hot mess.  The vendor rep and m/u artistist were very timid and Shawn interrupted them and was all over the place.  The explanation about the warm/cool skin colors was totally confusing for someone that had not used MAC before.  Hope the hour show later is better, but I don't hold out any hope; if Jane Treacy is the host will will get mostly anecdotes.  Courtney K would be better. We will see.

@Love orchids @Janey2   SK is awful when makeup artists/lines are presented. She gushes over her experiences with it and her purchases often talking so much, we don't get to hear the vendor.

She does the same thing when RMS is presented. We rarely hear the ideas from Rose Marie Swift who developed the line. Who would know more than the vendor?

Respected Contributor

I watched some of the MAC presentations yesterday and was completely confused with their saying that cool pink complexions should choose the NW shades....what?

Warm colors with yellow in them make me look ghastly, so I would never take a chance and order without seeing or swatching some in person with that kind of confusing info.

I did like the look of the TSV and all its components but the shades on the models looked very pink/mauve, even the lip, but the products looked warm/golden.

Too confusing to give it a try and no, I don't need any more makeup! The second AD palette looked lovely though.

And Shawn was totally confused about the cool/warm info.

Super Contributor
I wish Fatima would not have been cut off so much. She is the expert. Maybe she was a little shy for TV? I'm picking up an NC and NW from Ulta to figure it out myself.
Honored Contributor

At some point I may try a MAC foundation.  Found out there is a MAC store not too far from my house so would go there rather than an ULTA.  Went to ULTA yesterday to look around and no one asked if I wanted/needed help while I was looking at the MAC section.  If they had, I may have asked for a shade match just to see what I was.  

Think Fatima did fine yesterday - better with some hosts than others.  Although I don't think the explanation of the foundation shades was done very well by Fatima or the Q hosts but chalk that up to MAC having a weird shade system.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

.....I'd like to add re: the TSV that I already have the lipstick and it is a nice, neutral rose shade. I never purchase the foundations/concealers because the shades are confusing, even to me. Since Estee Lauder owns MAC, the Double Wear foundation is similar in the numbering being reversed from what most of us have learned. I'm familiar w/ DW from experience.

I've also been turned off by many MAC counter artists. Some wear over the top looks that are not appealing or univeral. I always advise, when looking for new makeup, check out all the counters and try to find an artist that has a complexion similar to yours, a look you'd like for yourself and maybe even close in age.. You'll be more apt to be happy with your purchases.

I'm not sure the idea behind MAC was ever to be universal.  Their counters were always the most lively inside the stores.  They typically had music playing, their displays were more unique and their reps more outgoing and fun, often wearing wearing that isn't anything I would personally wear but the artistry behind the look was appealing.  I more than one make-over at a MAC counter and they were some of the best even though the artist creating the look wasn't wearing make-up in a look I would wear on the daily. 

Someone down the line though MAC seems to have lost its edge and I don't really hear anyone talking about them anymore.  The free standing MAC stores in my area have closed.  I haven't been to a mall in so long, I have no idea what the counters are like now but I put MAC in the older, dated line of products like Clinique and Estee Lauder.  They need some type of boost.