Honored Contributor

Re: Lysine is Helping My Breakouts! Try it!

I use the supplement and Lysine ointment for cold sores, very good.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CANDLEQUEEN, I am sure that I just bought it off the shelf somewhere, so you can try Walgreens.  Your pharmacist can help with that.  This was many years ago, so I have no idea if there are new standards now about where you can purchase.  

@NightowlzI had serious itching and it looked like little tunnels on my back.  I had recently been diagnosed with tinnia, so at first that is what I thought it was.  It wasn't until the tingling on my side, which I understand is how you know that you have it, that I realized that it was shingles.  I really hope that you are feeling much better.

A co-worker had it for months around her waist and my doctor had a client who had it in her mouth.  Both are awful.  My BIL had it on his legs.  I got it about two weeks after he left.  I am sure that he did not cause me to get it, but I still blame him.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Lysine works to reduce herpes outbreaks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lysine is very good for tissue health. Makes sense. Glad to hear your seeing positive results.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl wrote:

@CANDLEQUEEN, I am sure that I just bought it off the shelf somewhere, so you can try Walgreens.  Your pharmacist can help with that.  This was many years ago, so I have no idea if there are new standards now about where you can purchase.  

@NightowlzI had serious itching and it looked like little tunnels on my back.  I had recently been diagnosed with tinnia, so at first that is what I thought it was.  It wasn't until the tingling on my side, which I understand is how you know that you have it, that I realized that it was shingles.  I really hope that you are feeling much better.

A co-worker had it for months around her waist and my doctor had a client who had it in her mouth.  Both are awful.  My BIL had it on his legs.  I got it about two weeks after he left.  I am sure that he did not cause me to get it, but I still blame him.

@SXMGirl

Sorry you had to deal with all the itching. Little tunnels in yur back does not sound good. Glad I did not have that or many of the red areas. I don't think I could deal with all that & the pain too. I took a pain pill every night so I could sleep 3-4 hrs & wake up crying.

I still have that tingling numbing sensation at my waist half way up my back & under my left breast on my stomach.

Mine started in the middle of my back across from one side to the other about bra strap area. It hurt in the middle of my back which moved to my left side. I was eating dinner & thought I had indigestion or possible heart attack at first. This was on Fri night. The pain got worse over the weekend & I was on the phone with the doctors office when they opened Mon.

I have never had pain like that in my life.

One of my sisters had it on her face & my other sister had it on her right side twice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz, I am so glad that I only had a light case of shingles.  I don't know how you can stand the pain.  Like I said previously, mine was gone in about three or four days.  Once I got started on meds and Lysine, there was no pain and the itching was gone.  I hope that you and your family get it cleared up quickly.  Pain is not good, especially when it wakes you up or you think that you are having a heart attack.  Maybe it is more than shingles.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Nightowlz, I am so glad that I only had a light case of shingles.  I don't know how you can stand the pain.  Like I said previously, mine was gone in about three or four days.  Once I got started on meds and Lysine, there was no pain and the itching was gone.  I hope that you and your family get it cleared up quickly.  Pain is not good, especially when it wakes you up or you think that you are having a heart attack.  Maybe it is more than shingles.

@SXMGirl@Nightowlz, this is a common complaint. My first two symptoms of shingles was one blister that I thought was just a blemish or bug bite on my torso and also pain in that area that made me wonder about a heart attack.

Two days later, I broke out in the rash. It's almost always on just one side. As soon as I realized it was shingles, my doctor gave me a prescription that is supposed to mitigate they symptoms and help reduce the chance of developing a long-term very painful side effect.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

@SXMGirl@Nightowlz, this is a common complaint. My first two symptoms of shingles was one blister that I thought was just a blemish or bug bite on my torso and also pain in that area that made me wonder about a heart attack.

Two days later, I broke out in the rash. It's almost always on just one side. As soon as I realized it was shingles, my doctor gave me a prescription that is supposed to mitigate they symptoms and help reduce the chance of developing a long-term very painful side effect.

@suzyQ3

I had excrutiating pain for a week before the few red places showed up. I told the doctor I tought it was Shingles he said it is not because you don't have any blisters. I was pretty sure that's what I had from how my sisters described the pain.

He made me go to the hospital & have an ultrasound on my kidneys, bladder etc. They got the results back the same day. Nothing there.

I told him I needed something for pain of course since he did not know what I had was not willing to give me any. I told him I had Lortab & would be taking it if he did not prescribe something. He wanted to know where I got it & I told him does not matter. He gave me Tramadol to take which helped me sleep 3-4 hrs each night but I was still in pain. I was using anything & everything trying to find relief. I bought cbd oil, vaped cbd oil etc. I was ready to drive out in front of a semi the pain was so bad so I was willing to try anything.

The medication they give you is Valtrex or generic Valacyclovir HCL which you need to start taking upon onset. The doctor did not prescribe mine until 1 wk later at which time it's really too late from what I have read about it. If he had gave me this the day I first saw him I might not be left with the aching, tingling, numbing feeling I have at my waist & up my left side. I'm constantly walking around rubbing my waist/side area.

All I can say is I better not get it again. If I do I will have to try DMSO.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SXMGirl wrote:

@suzyQ3

I had excrutiating pain for a week before the few red places showed up. I told the doctor I tought it was Shingles he said it is not because you don't have any blisters. I was pretty sure that's what I had from how my sisters described the pain.

He made me go to the hospital & have an ultrasound on my kidneys, bladder etc. They got the results back the same day. Nothing there.

I told him I needed something for pain of course since he did not know what I had was not willing to give me any. I told him I had Lortab & would be taking it if he did not prescribe something. He wanted to know where I got it & I told him does not matter. He gave me Tramadol to take which helped me sleep 3-4 hrs each night but I was still in pain. I was using anything & everything trying to find relief. I bought cbd oil, vaped cbd oil etc. I was ready to drive out in front of a semi the pain was so bad so I was willing to try anything.

The medication they give you is Valtrex or generic Valacyclovir HCL which you need to start taking upon onset. The doctor did not prescribe mine until 1 wk later at which time it's really too late from what I have read about it. If he had gave me this the day I first saw him I might not be left with the aching, tingling, numbing feeling I have at my waist & up my left side. I'm constantly walking around rubbing my waist/side area.

All I can say is I better not get it again. If I do I will have to try DMSO.

@Nightowlz, if your shingles isn't recent and you are still having tingling and aching at site, you might have that side effect that I mentioned but didn't name: 

Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's so awful!  I wish that doctors in this type of situation would LISTEN to the patient and give them the anti-viral right away.  They know it's not going to be very effective if that small window of time is missed and the consequences of severe lasting nerve pain for the patient is simply NOT acceptable.

My Mom had it...over the top of her head/scalp...down one side of her face/ear/neck and shoulder area.  It was so painful for her...took many months for it to calm down enough for her to be able to wash her hair...and finally get it colored again.  Her doctor did put her on the medication within a few days of the outbreak but still it was really bad.

I admit this is something that scares me silly....I am 53 now....both my Mom and Grandma had it at age 80....so I fully expect it to happen to me in the future.  Neither of them were given (according to them) the vaccine.   I will be getting that vaccine as soon as I am supposed to....think my doctor told me age 60.  I sure hope it lasts a long time or I guess there must be booster shots too.