Trusted Contributor

Lysine is Helping My Breakouts! Try it!

I have some good news! I have been taking 2000 mgs of Lysine for about 2 months and my breakouts have subsided pretty dramatically. I still get one or two every few weeks but it is so nice not to be slave to makeup.It's been so long since I've worn foundation and the feeling is great. Where did I learn about this magic pill? Right here on this forum. Thank you to that poster whoever she is!

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lysine is Helping My Breakouts! Try it!

Aww, thats awesome, @JBKO! I hadn't heard of that before, I'm glad you are having success!

Esteemed Contributor

@JBKO, I had a very slight case of shingles, and it cleared up in three days, in most part, to high doses of lysine.  I always recommend it to those who have shingles since it worked so well for me.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I take lysine for herpes break outs. It has helped me so much! I buy the powder form and just mix it in water. It dissolves completely.

Honored Contributor

I started taking it a few years ago ,stopped the cold sores i would get during the winter.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@JBKO, I had a very slight case of shingles, and it cleared up in three days, in most part, to high doses of lysine.  I always recommend it to those who have shingles since it worked so well for me.

@SXMGirl

I took it when I had Shingles. As far as I know it did not help me. I still had Shingles with a lot of pain for a least 6 months. Still have lingering problems in those areas on my left side front & back. 

Since having the Shingles I keep trying to get fever blisters & have to use Aleve. I have had 4-5 since last year. At least the Aleve makes it go away instead of getting all gross if you use it when you feel the tingling & itching. I hope this does not keep happening. I used to get one every once in a while.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lysine should be taken on an empty stomach and as much as 8 grams a day may be needed to treat viruses like herpes or shingles. One gram is a slightly rounded 1/2 teaspoon. I take approx 6 grams daily.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz, really sorry that it did not work for you.  I think it must depend on the severity of the shingles.  I know that I took massive doses all day for almost a week.  For those who have not gotten the shot for shingles, my suggestion is to get it.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Nightowlz, really sorry that it did not work for you.  I think it must depend on the severity of the shingles.  I know that I took massive doses all day for almost a week.  For those who have not gotten the shot for shingles, my suggestion is to get it.

@SXMGirl

I don't remember how much I took I think 2000-3000 mg per day. Enough to upset my stomach.

I did not have many blisters. I had about 3 on my left side of stomach & 2 or 3 on my left side back. They were small & never did fill up with pus. 

When it first started about 2 days in I was wondering if it was Shingles. I applied tea tree oil all over my stomach & back quite a bit. I don't know if that had anything to do with why I did not get all the blisters or not. I think it was.

I was in excruciating pain. The doctor told me it was not Shingles because I did not have any blisters. When the few red areas popped up 1 week later he said it was Shingles. I knew that when I went to see him.

The pain was so bad I just wanted to die because I thought it was never going to stop.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl. Is this something you can get at Walgreens? Thanks!