Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee, Is it true that most soaps have to have a forum of lye in them , there are others forums of lye called other things?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee, Is it true that most soaps have to have a forum of lye in them , there are others forums of lye called other things?

As far as I know, @goldensrbest,  lye is needed in the chemical recipe of soap making. Either sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide are the two forms of lye used in soap making...one or the other, not both at the same time. But the end product soap has no lye in it because the chemical reaction between the lye, oils and fats creates 'soap' and glycerin...the process is called saponification...the term from which the word soap comes from.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@goldensrbest wrote:

As far as I know, @goldensrbest,  lye is needed in the chemical recipe of soap making. Either sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide are the two forms of lye used in soap making...one or the other, not both at the same time. But the end product soap has no lye in it because the chemical reaction between the lye, oils and fats creates 'soap' and glycerin...the process is called saponification...the term from which the word soap comes from.Woman Happy

I bought some goats milk soap ,when i got it it has lye in it,which scared me ,then i read that most all soaps need it ,saponifaction is needed ,learned something new today ,thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lye in soaps

[ Edited ]

If the soap was properly made, then there should be no lye in the soap. Lye is only used in making the soap. The lye gets 'used up' in the process.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If the soap was properly made, then there should be no lye in the soap. Lye is only used in making the soap. The lye gets 'used up' in the process.

Yes they said that ,it is legends goats milk soap, but it is part of ingredients on box.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lye in soaps

[ Edited ]

Don't overlook the fact the word "soap" is frequently misapplied to non-soaps.

I use a "hand-soap" that really isn't a soap at all, but everyone knows exactly what I mean. 

Many liquid skin cleansers and 'beauty bars' are commonly referred to as soap, but aren't.

As long as they use the correct word when selling the product, I'm ok.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

https://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve.com/blog/posts/is-there-lye-in-natural-soap-wont-it-harm-my-sk...

I read that earlier today.

Honored Contributor

Most bar soaps that are sold today, particularly ones in major stores, aren't made with lye. They are technically called "syndets" and techincally shouldn't be called soap, but they look the same. Much better for your skin because they use a different process for mixing in the cleansing ingredients and can balance your pH better.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

This has made me laugh.  My best friend as to make soap for her baby 46years ago because he had such sensitive skin and of course, she had to use lye.  Once the soap cures it's safe and natural.