Honored Contributor

I have never been one to use eye drops at all.  I have some homeopathic drops just for use if I get some irritation I just can't stand, usually itchy eyes probably due to allergens.  But, I have been seeing a commercial for Lumify which, as far as I can tell from the commercial, is strictly used to make the whites of your eyes whiter.  Now, I remember years ago the Visine campaign to "Get the red out", but Visine had another use prior to that campaign.  But, I also seem to remember that the campaign went away after some news came out that it was possibly being harmful to the eyes, I think maybe it was the constant use to be able to keep the eyes white.  Anybody remember this?  And if that is the case, how would this new Lumify product be different?

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I have never been one to use eye drops at all.  I have some homeopathic drops just for use if I get some irritation I just can't stand, usually itchy eyes probably due to allergens.  But, I have been seeing a commercial for Lumify which, as far as I can tell from the commercial, is strictly used to make the whites of your eyes whiter.  Now, I remember years ago the Visine campaign to "Get the red out", but Visine had another use prior to that campaign.  But, I also seem to remember that the campaign went away after some news came out that it was possibly being harmful to the eyes, I think maybe it was the constant use to be able to keep the eyes white.  Anybody remember this?  And if that is the case, how would this new Lumify product be different?

Lumify works very well to reduce the red blood vessels that make eyes look blood shot. It only works about 6 hours and then they are back. It doesn't 'cure' anything. I use it for ocular rosacea. It can be a bit irritating and I do notice some rebound when it wears off...temporary. My ophthalmologist recommended it. I have no experience with Visine.

I would say for occasional use it is fine. As in an evening out. I believe that Lumify is a mild dose of medication uses for Glaucoma?

Honored Contributor

Re: Lumify vs Visine

[ Edited ]

I use Lumify and the active ingredient is different from any other eye whitening product...I believe the active ingredient is found in Lumify only, for eyes. No other brand has it. You only need to use Lumify once a day because its effects last that long, if not longer in some cases. With most other kinds of whitening drops you need to keep reapplying them and that can lead to irritation. Lumify does come with some side effects but for the most part they are minimal and relatively harmless.

ETA - Not only does it whiten the whites of the eyes, but it also lightens the inner rims and the area in the inner corners. The entire look is a brighter and more awakened appearance. Eyes look bigger somehow and my eyes look great with makeup on...I love the stuff.

Honored Contributor

I would worry about rebound redness if you used it regularly but once in awhile should be fine. 

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

I would worry about rebound redness if you used it regularly but once in awhile should be fine. 

I use it maybe twice a week and there has been no extra redness that I can see...no more than my usual. @GenXmuse 

Honored Contributor

My eyes are always red and  bloodshot and the rims are red....I tried Visine and it did nothing but recently tried Lumify...wow what a difference.  The whites of my eyes have never been more clear.

I do not use it every day, not sure it is safe but do use it when I have a special occasion or feel especially bothered by the redness.

Frequent Contributor

Lumify is a brilliant creation.  The old Visenes, etc., are nowhere near as good.  Lumify is a little pricey but absolutely worth it.  Our local Costco has just started carrying it in a 2-pack at a great price.  

Honored Contributor

Regarding the Lumify commercial, I do not want the whites of my eyes glowing.  This product scares me.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Lumify vs Visine

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess The least invasive soothing product would be rewetting drops for contacts wearers.  I love Allergan products and they're sold everywhere.  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

I just tried Lumify, and, Wow! It really lives up to the hype. It  really made my eyes look whiter & better.

I have chronic red eyes from allergies. I used the Visine version for allergies for years which was just ok. A nurse recommended NaphconA, and that worked better than Visine for me. It helped with redness and allergy eye symptoms. I plan on continuing to use the NaphconA most days, and use the Lumify when I really want whiter eyes.