Honored Contributor

Re: Love/Hate relationship with palettes

I like eyeshadow palettes.  But I am careful to buy ones where I will use the colors or 99% of them.  I actually bought an NYX shadow palette and used every single color until they were all gone. 

What I don't like and will not buy are mixed palettes.  I detest eyeshadows, blush, powders, bronzers, etc.  mixed in a palette.  Most of the time the products end up mixed together because as I'm trying to swipe my brush over a blush, it's part way in the powder or bronzer or vice versa.  I gave up on those years ago.

I also don't like lipstick palettes.  I only use tubes of lipsticks. 

Valued Contributor

@TY

I agree with you once I would get them home I would realize they were not all colors that would work for me . Also if they had blush and lip colors in them after awhile flecks of shadow /blush would mix into everything no matter how careful I was . Fortunately I switched to cruelty free brands 5 years ago where I make my own palettes using Z Palettes . My favorite brands of shadows are Elate, Sappho and Kjaer Weis and Teri Miyahira 

Respected Contributor

I just bought a Tarte Matte Eyeshadow pallette from Sephora that I really like, and am actually using all the colors regularly.  Don't think that's ever happened before!  I like it so much that I have tossed all my other eyeshadows (which were old, anyway) and am using it exclusively...it's very neutral with a good range of light-to-dark. The darker ones make great eyeliners, too.

That's my only pallette now, everything else is singles...well, except for the IT pallette I keep in my purse. It has a blush, bronzer & powder that are great for touchups! They are set side-by-side and large enough so that my brush doesn't overlap as long as I'm careful.

Valued Contributor

I am not a fan of eye palettes since I don't end up using half the colors.  They always throw in a metallic that my aging eyes can't handle anymore. Having said that I just bought the Gen Nude Palette from QVC for light/medium skin. This is the first one where I can use every single color.

I also bought the LG Cheek to Chic Palette. Love it. All the colors work for me and can be used on cheeks, eyes and lips (with gloss over the color) and last all day. This will be perfect for traveling, weekends and carrying for touch ups this summer.

I also have one lip palette that came in my Fab Fit Fun Box. The colors and textures are quite beautiful and allow me to layer and wear colors I normally wouldn't invest in. I avoid lip palettes like the plague but this one has such a high quality compact and the formulation is good that it has become a keeper.

Honored Contributor

I have an eye shadow palette I bought at Stila on sale.  I only use a few of the shadow colors and only once in a while.  It was so hot her 97 and in the mid 90's that I hardly wear makeup.  I have been enjoying the Italian Marble lipsticks by Laura Geller.  I picked up two on sale and one at regular price and like them all.  

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Yes, I went through a phase of buying whole bunch of palettes, because they look so pretty.  But I am now on a "no buy" for palettes.  I am never going to use them all up.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom

That Urban Decay eyeshadow palette is pretty to look at. It does remind me of the turquoise waters off Australia. All the beaches there had turquoise water! But of the colors, I would probably only use the far left two colors!

Honored Contributor

@nyc1 and @TY - I think I would enjoy the first four colors too, maybe the first five! I have hazel eyes, so I will "borrow" it Friday night and play around with the colors. DD has green eyes, but she's young and wears strong colors. We'll see how they look on "Mom"! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@nyc1 and @TY - I think I would enjoy the first four colors too, maybe the first five! I have hazel eyes, so I will "borrow" it Friday night and play around with the colors. DD has green eyes, but she's young and wears strong colors. We'll see how they look on "Mom"! Smiley Wink

@beach-mom  That HEATWAVE color is pretty intense so you may have to blow on the brush to get some of the pigment off.  Have fun...   it's SUMMER....  play play play!!!!

Honored Contributor

I also get sucked into buying palettes. It always looks so pretty in the store, but when I get it home I find I'm only using maybe 4 of 12 colors, so I'm not getting my money's worth out of it.