Esteemed Contributor

Love/Hate relationship with palettes

I have a love/hate relationship with my makeup, especially my palettes. They always look pretty in the store or in the package but when I use them they become less appealing.

I never use all the colors included because I don't like the dark eyeshadows or there's too much powder fallout on the product. I don't always like how the shadows or blushes and highlighters are arranged either with some too close to each other, some of the shapes are too narrow for the makeup brush or more than one powder pan get's covered with a makeup brush accidentally because the pans are too close to each other.

I think I get tired of looking at the same makeup every day too.

Respected Contributor

Re: Love/Hate relationship with palettes

@TYI have quit buying them. I have a huge one from Smashbox and I hardly ever use it. Thought it would be great for travel. It had everything you need all in one box.

Super Contributor

I  never got into them, I have no idea why I was fortunate enough to not be lured into this one. Well, I will cave on a small palette I guess, I love the mini Visearts for example, but I do not have a mansion and these things take up too much room and liking every color is dicey.

Honored Contributor

@TY - I see what you're saying about not using every color. I really don't know anyone who does! But I love palettes! They are great for packing, and I always take only one when I travel. Smiley Happy

Speaking of palettes - DD just bought this one for summer:

UD "Beached" - Look at those summer colors! 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't own any blush, contour or highlight palettes.  Usually I can look at them and know I won't use all of the colors or that my brush won't fit in the pans.  I have one inexpensive combo palette that has a blush in it that will be hard to use because of the way the palette is arranged, but I didn't really buy it for the blush anyway, I bought it for the eyeshadow.

I have several eyeshadow palettes, so I don't get bored using them.  I also don't buy a palette if I know I won't use the vast majority of the shadows.

I think if I got sick of my eyeshadow palettes I would just use colored eyeliners for awhile and skip the shadows.  Or I would de-pot my palettes and toss the individual shades I didn't like, then put the ones I want in a magnetic palette.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

I bought a big pallette once - everything from blush to concealer to eye shadows to liners in one snazzy red flip box, plus small brushes and mirror.  It was beautiful.  I thought it would be perfect for travel.   But it wasn't.   These days, if I need a taupe shadow, then I go buy a single taupe shadow.   Some pallettes are gorgeous, tho -- I really want to buy them.... but don't.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@TY - I see what you're saying about not using every color. I really don't know anyone who does! But I love palettes! They are great for packing, and I always take only one when I travel. Smiley Happy

Speaking of palettes - DD just bought this one for summer:

UD "Beached" - Look at those summer colors! 

@beach-mom  Love the first 4 colors, especially Heatwave and Daybreak.  Would use those in the crease in a heartbeat. 

Respected Contributor

I used to buy them but not anymore.  I have a few favorite eye shadows - one was originally in a Bobbi Brown palette - and I just buy them as singles now.  Same with blushes.  I used to love Bobbi Brown lipstick palettes - I still have a few of those.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I cured myself from buying them when, on a "I MUST CLEAN OUT ALL THIS MAKEUP" purge, I went on a de-potting binge. Meaning, I decided to remove the shades from each palette I owned and toss what I didn't.

I was shocked to discover that, on average, 1, maybe 2 colors were ALL I used from a palette!!!! The money I wasted...WOW. The only exception is a City Eye Palette that Mally brought out years ago: perfection for a nude eye from day to super smokey. I actually use these shades to figure out which shades to keep/buy going forward as they are the perfect colors for me (discontinued, of course).

I think many of use get pulled into buying them because of how they look, we think it will be great to have all the things we need in one compact, etc but reality for me is that they are a HUGE HUGE HUGE waste of money.

Honored Contributor

I also have a love/hate relationship with palettes.  I love them for every day and travel, and their guide to using complementary colors.  But I still have not found one that works for me.  

I need a new eyeshadow palette desperately.  If the colors are great, the texture is too wimpy and flies all over my face and takes a lot of effort for it to even get color on my lids.  Or, the texture requires too much tugging of my lid.

I just want great application, stays on in hot weather, wonderful saturated colors of a mix of some matte and some shimmer, with the right application.  I guess that’s too much to ask.