Respected Contributor

Re: Looking forward to losing grey hair

@hyacinth003   Your situation sounds exactly like mine.  I keep seeing the gray surrounding my face and I think it's my mother.  I can't get to the hairdresser until June and haven't been there since March13.  Holy cow.  But I will be patient.  I also have my hair highlighted but that part looks great.  I think I look like an old hag, but that's my ego talking.

Honored Contributor

I use Westmore Root Coverage from here and it works way better than any other powder or spray root cover.  Need very little and only comes off when washing hair.

Honored Contributor

One of my good friends who keeps her hair short is going through this...her roots are really growing long as well as her style is getting out of shape.  She can't wait to get a cut (me too!) but is thinking of letting her gray grow out. 

I told her that in years past she had said to me several times that she was NEVER going to go gray ....or at least until she was a lot older.....she's only 65.

Respected Contributor

I'm never going gray either.  I have sat in the chair for 20 years watching my hairdresser color my hair.  This is not rocket science.  My last appt. I had my hair cut shorter since I knew it may be awhile before I was back, I get my hair done about every 5 weeks.

I also bought a L'Oreal close to my color and when my roots were unbearable I used it.  I used a small paint brush to put the color on to my roots first.  

The good news no more grey roots, the color is not bad, just a little darker than past.  I honestly don't think my family has even noticed, ha.

I sent my hairdresser the money for the cut and color. (I have gone to her for 20 years.)  Next hurdle is cutting my own hair, what could go wrong?  

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I look like the wreck of the Hesperus. That's something my Mom used to say. Unless you're well over 60 you might not have ever heard it. Bottom line is that it means I look like h*ll. Then there's my nails, that's a whole other mess.

Oh yes that sounds very familiar my Mom said that many times. 

Trusted Contributor

Everything is happening at the same time with my hair and it's not a good thing, LOL!!!
Layers are growing out, roots and greys are growing out at warp speed, foil coloring is just about grown out! I'm actually not even sure what my "real" hair color is, at this point! Yikes, I never realized how much processing I have done to my hair!!!!! I ordered some baseball caps but my hair isn't long enough to pull back in a ponytail and all the layers are different lengths so it should be interesting to see how my hair ends up stuffed into the darn baseball cap, LOL, LOL!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm letting mother nature take over right now  in many areas- my gray roots, the much needed haircut, etc. I figure it's a small price to pay to stay safe and healthy. And when things open up (I'm in NJ - so it's going to be while) I'm treating myself to a spa day, head to toe. 

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely looking forward to it, too, but I probably have another month.  The gray is bad enough, but we have now crossed from being able to make something of my hair to not a chance.  I have missed two appointments.  Although it is helping me decide if I want to grow it out.

Esteemed Contributor

It has taken quite a while,  but I wanted to let me hair grow out from a short style in layers to one length longer hair.  I did.  And I have always colored my hair because I went grey early.

Been so long since colored, everything is grey around my face and top of head.  I am 75, but inside still a kid inside. I will wait til it is really safe before I run out to my hairdressers, who is not open yet here.  I had bought a wig from QVC on a lark a while back, a shorter style with bangs, that I wear when I rarely leave the house.  It was a Toni Brattin, very cute style.  Great investment.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

I look like the wreck of the Hesperus. That's something my Mom used to say. Unless you're well over 60 you might not have ever heard it. Bottom line is that it means I look like h*ll. Then there's my nails, that's a whole other mess.

@shaggygirl 

I have a similar issue.  But when I look in the mirror I don't see the Hesperus.  What I see is the Titanic.

And the band has stopped playing.

It's taking every bit of willpower I have to not pick up scissors and start chopping this mop. Woman Frustrated

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~