Occasional Contributor

Looking for suggestions re. paraben-free skin care

Does anyone have any suggestions for paraben-free skin care, body care, hair care and makeup?

Thank you in advance..

Trusted Contributor

Re: Looking for suggestions re. paraben-free skin care

I'm sure there many out there, but one I'm familiar with and have used is 100 Percent Pure.

Honored Contributor

Whew, @MsMisty, that's a pretty tall order.  If I were you, I'd start googling paraben free skincare, paraben free shampoo, paraben free makeup.  Take notes on your findings and then start comparing with a pros and cons list.

You are certainly at liberty to use anything you want, but if you're concerned about parabens because you think they are cancer causing agents, there isn't any proof to comfirm that.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ava Anderson Non-Toxic is a great line, I've tried it in the past and still use a few staples - just google Ava Anderson Non-Toxic and you sould find their site.

Also, Suzanne Somers "Organics" from her website or Evine.com is also another great one if you are trying to avoid chemicals in your skin care.

Tatcha (TSV) and here on the Q is Paraben free as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MsMisty wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for paraben-free skin care, body care, hair care and makeup?

Thank you in advance..

@MsMisty Everyone's different, but my tried and true include:

Hourglass for makeup, particularly Mineral Veil primer with SPF

Neutrogena Naturals and Malin + Goetz for skin and body care

A few select Tatcha items for skin care

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Whew, @MsMisty, that's a pretty tall order.  If I were you, I'd start googling paraben free skincare, paraben free shampoo, paraben free makeup.  Take notes on your findings and then start comparing with a pros and cons list.

You are certainly at liberty to use anything you want, but if you're concerned about parabens because you think they are cancer causing agents, there isn't any proof to comfirm that.  

@JeanLouiseFinch is spot on regarding parabens.  They are NOT harmful in cosmetics and personal care products.  They are among the most effective and safe preservatives available.  There is absolutely no science to prove otherwise.  You might be interested to know some preservatives developed to take the place of parabens (due to marketing and scaremongering) are not only less effective but you need quite a bit more and are not as harmless.  Also, they've been in use a relatively short period of time and therefore long term consequences are unknown.  BTW, there are more parabens in some "natural" and healthy food choices (note ingested) than topical products.  Stay far, far away from blueberries.  

Honored Contributor

I think you will find that most lines today are paraben free, more than you think.

Regular Contributor

For what it's worth, here's a link on WebMD to a very recent study regarding parabens and a naturally occurring chemical found in breast tissue.  When the two combine, it's not a good thing.  Also, it took 100 times less than the recommended allowance for parabens to cause the reaction.  Take from it what you like, but it's important that we make the best choices on reliable information.

http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20151027/parabens-breast-cancer