Honored Contributor

Looking for nail color line that is healthier and not so full of chemicals

[ Edited ]

I don't wear nail color every day.  I had to give it up because after wearing for a few days, my nails would start to get chipped, peely, and dry and get in very bad shape.  Now, that I only wear it occasionally, my nails are in much better condition!

However, I miss wearing nail color and feel my hands look prettier and it's just a much more finished look with it.

My question is --- is there a line of nail color that has good for you nail ingredients and also not a ton of horrible chemicals in it?  If the polish is not long wearing, that's fine.

Any suggestions?  Thank you! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for nail color line that is healthier and not so full of chemicals

I use Londontown nail care and polish. It is  very free of most chemicals and is considered a " clean" product. You can read about their products on their website.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pacifica.....Plant Magic Polish. 16-free, beautiful colors

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

I've been using Color Street for a few years now. My friend sells it & has online sales & promotions often. They're real nail polish but they're on strips that you peel & stick on your nails. You get 2 strips per packet. My nails are short so I can use one strip for all 10 nails. Then I use my food saver to seal the other strip in the package. Some people say they use a flat iron to seal it. They keep a long time as long as you can heat seal the packet. After using one set twice I still have a few left that I can mix/match with other leftovers if I want. 

I'm rough on my nails but they usually last about 2 weeks before I change them. You can check them out online. My friend has a Facebook page (Klassy Nails with Kim) & has tips for applying them. Or maybe someone in your area sells them. There's a little bit of a learning curve to applying them. Took me forever the first few times. Now I can put them on in just minutes. I get tons of compliments on my nails & there's so many designs. It's fun!

Not sure it's "healthier" but my nails are stronger & don't yellow like they used to with regular polish. Maybe worth a try. You can usually get a free sample.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You could just apply a 'healthy' base coat and then put on a color of your choice. That way the healthy base coat will keep away the bad stuff contained in the colored polish plus that base coat will help prolong the wear of your polish with also having to apply less of it. Sort of like a primer for your foundation only it's for your nails.

Nail-Aid brand makes some very 'healthy' products. I use this one and also another one of their 'pink' tinted products. This one here is clear and is easily removed with regular nail-polish remover. Less than $8 at Walmart.

Made in USA.

Nail-Aid 3-in-1 Gel Base + Top Coat + Hardener, 0.55 fl oz - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

"FREE OF THESE 20 HARMFUL INGREDIENTS: Animal-Derived Ingredients, Parabens, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin, Toluene, Silicone, Phthalates (including DBP), Carmine, Camphor, Sulfates, Mineral Oil, Hydroquinone, Triphenyl Phosphate, Xylene, Glycol Ether of Series E, Ethyl Tosylamide, Bismuth Oxychloride, Bisphenol A, Nonylphenol Ethoxylate, Styrene."

Honored Contributor

Zoya !!!

Respected Contributor

Esse Treat Love and Color - I have terrible nails and this has really helped me.

Occasional Contributor

I absolutely love the Orly breathable line! I buy right off their website. My nails feel so much better, and I'd say it's pretty durable, maybe 5 days or so.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I use a chamois nail buffer and buffing cream.  I like it much better than polish.  Any type of nail polish makes my nails brittle and break.  Also, I don't have to deal with chipping polish or polish removers.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 - Zoya.  They were the first brand to make nail polish without toxic chemicals (never used them) and their polishes and other products are top quality.

Check them out on their website ZoyaDOTcom.  There's an interesting read about how the brand came to be as well; at the bottom of the homepage under "About Us".

They're the only polish I use, with the exception of occasionally OPI (since they got rid of toxic chemicals).  If you sign up for the Zoya emails, you'll get notified when they have special offers, but you don't get bombarded every day.