Frequent Contributor

Looking for fun colored temp hair color

Any brand recommendations for fun/novel hair colors?  I am looking to do a few streaks in my brownish/greyish hair.  Would love to know if there are brands that are preferred.

Thank you in advance.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for fun colored temp hair color

I don't have any brands but if you walk down the hair color aisle, they are all there.  I've seen a whole lot of women lately sporting various shades of mauve.  I mean women, not teens or young fashionistas.  Middle aged, middle class ladies around town.  Of course, a color like that calls for a modern cut and style.  I have to say that the more I see it, the more I like it.  But not for myself.  

Valued Contributor

LO ORAL IS A GOOD CHOICE...

Esteemed Contributor

I think you have to read and follow the instructions carefully and do a test patch with even the temporary spray in colors. Maybe google reviews of whatever brand you want to try too.

I've tried the wash out temp one that has been discontinued that applied with a mascara wand and wasn't happy that the product dried to a glue like consistency so it was hard to comb my hair. That was hard to wash out. I think it was a garnier or Loreal product a few years ago.

Honored Contributor

Do you have a beauty supply store? They would be a great help too. We have Sally's and admiral beauty supply.

Honored Contributor

I have bright pink, blue and purple in 1.5 inch wide crayon type applicators. I can just draw on the color.  I like this because it is easy to apply and control where you want  the color to go.  And it washes out 100% at each shampoo.  The colors are vibrant, but don’t permanently stain your hair,  and because the color stick is solid, it doesn’t drip.

I got it at Sally, but I don’t remember the brand name.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie- those crayons interest me.... thanks!   I've often thought about putting some temporary streaks of light pink or torquoise in my white hair just for fun.  

Not "fun" colors, but I sometimes use Roux mousses -- very temporary, wash out completely  -- to add or change color.  Roux mousses come in several different colors from dark black to light silver blonde.   Get them at Sally's.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

What about hair chalk?  I don't know how they'd show up on your hair, though.  They seem to show best on light blonde hair.

Honored Contributor

@grzbela  I know my Target always has someone in cosmetics to help you out and they are very knowledgable.  Just make sure the box says that it washes out with shampoo.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Several months ago, I found some pin-in, colored hair strands.  I think I saw them on Etsy, but I'm sure they are elsewhere.

It would be an easy way to insert some color without actually changing your own hair.  

I almost got some, but ended up forgetting about it until I saw your post.

Let us know what you do!