Contributor

Looking for either a facial scrub or mask for combo skin/blackheads

I am sure this topic has been on here before but I get here too often on the forums so please I need some help.

I am 61 with oily tzone - blackheads/whiteheads - looking for a good face scrub or mask that won't break the bank.  I looked on Ulta & Sephora at some brands & I will not pay $50+ for a face scrub/mask.

I have been using a drugstore brand face scrub & mask by the same company & they are not getting me anywhere.  Any help at all will be appreciated.  Thank you all in advance.

Denise in PA

Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for either a facial scrub or mask for combo skin/blackheads

Instead of a scrub, I would consider Paula's Choice 2% BHA and work up to using that once a day.

I really like masks by Origins, including Clear Improvement, a charcoal mask, and Out of Trouble, a great mask for acne. You can do a full face mask or use them to spot treat.

Honored Contributor

@sweetwater wrote:

I am sure this topic has been on here before but I get here too often on the forums so please I need some help.

I am 61 with oily tzone - blackheads/whiteheads - looking for a good face scrub or mask that won't break the bank.  I looked on Ulta & Sephora at some brands & I will not pay $50+ for a face scrub/mask.

I have been using a drugstore brand face scrub & mask by the same company & they are not getting me anywhere.  Any help at all will be appreciated.  Thank you all in advance.

Denise in PA

@sweetwater  I don't mean to sound insensitive or inconsiderate of your budget, but if your inexpensive drugstore products aren't working, you obviously need something more effective and it might cost you some $$ to get set up.  A scrub wouldn't really affect your oily t-zone, blackheads and whiteheads, scrubs are for exfoliaton, not to mention that the wrong kind of scrub could actually make micro tears in your skin and encourage more oil production.  Personally, I would recommend that you start out by changing your cleansers.  Skinn's AM and PM cleansers are excellent.  I would also add in the Skinn Pore Detox Cleanser and alternate with that a few times a week.  Follow up with the Skinn Vaccum Deep Pore Cleansing Mask a couple of times a week.

Respected Contributor

I have old combo/oily skin & my skin loves a scrub. Have you tried to figure out if something that you are using is actually causing the problems to your skin? Sooo many things cause my skin to break out. Skin care (cleansers, oils, moisturizer, etc), foundation, powder, concealer, hair products....if Ihave tried it most of them have made me break out. It's really hard to pin it down sometimes, but you have to go very basic & very slowly try/add products. If I have clogs or breakouts, I love to use the Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask to help heal or unclog. It can be drying, so I can't use it every day, but if I have a pimple I will apply it, let it dry, peel it off, apply it, let it dry, peel it off...as many times as I have time for & it draws it out. I use Nuance by Salma Hayek Wild Lime Exfoliating Gel. It's gentle, but I feel like it helps loosen up the clogs & then I like to use my scrub. My scrub is a mixture of aluminum oxide crystals (I have the Diamond Dust from Garden Of Wisdom) & Mother Of Pearl Powder. You can use it as scrubby as you want. Full strength or add some to your cleanser. I have the JM Argan Scrub, that I have used a couple of times. It is nice, but I don't love it more than my mixture & it's quite a bit more $$. I have the Paula's Choice Retinol & the BHA Lotion, but I didn't see any real results on my skin. Good Luck.

Respected Contributor

This is my favorite:

Citrus Facial Scrub Burt's Bees 2 oz Scrub

Respected Contributor

Perfect Timimg!  Lucky U!

Dimitri just demoed this on Evine.

#311-875

311-875- Skinn Cosmetics Pure Pore Detox Cleanser & Skinn Vacuum Mask Duo

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

I have had good results with Philosophy's vitamin c facial scrub. It's a two step system but it only takes a few minutes once or twice a week depending on your needs.

I also like the deep cleansing brush for the Clarisonic (I use the mini) for that area. 

I would also suggest that you check the Ultra Repair First Aid line.  They've been adding products. I use the under eye therapy and the body/hand cream. The results are good and the pricing (so far) is more budget friendly.

I am in your age range so these are the items that work for me.

Contributor

thanks for the advice everyone - I am really looking at that Skinn duo someone posted - and to Jean, no you are not being insensitive at all.  I thought the same thing, if something is not working time to move on - I do believe I have to change my entire skincare routine.  I use a combo of PTR & PRAI.  I think the creams are too heavy for my skin - have so much stuff and it's terrible to throw it all out.

Have a great week-end & thank you all again.