Trusted Contributor

Looking for a realistic wig...

[ Edited ]

.... without a synthetic shine (some synthetics look better than others) and most importantly, one with a realistic looking hairline and especially part.  I don't know much about wigs, but I guess a lace front and plucked part? Long hair with side bangs.  I'd also spend the money for human hair if need be.  Thanks.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a realistic wig...

I can't answer you where to buy but I can assure you if you are looking for a realistic wig it's not the wig it's the fit.

So many times you see ladies and either the wig is too big and the hair is falling over the face and it's moving or too small and the hair is pulling up.

Isn't there somewhere you can sit with someone and have it fitted?   Everyone's head is different.

Respected Contributor

@Deree 

I've had treatment on and off for almost 3 years.  I've lost my hair completely 3 times.  Before I began treatment, I had 2 human hair wigs made in a similar style to my hairdo. (later I had another wig made) They were $$$$. Throughout treatment I tried a number of synthetic wigs and did not find any that looked good enough to wear in public. I was probably too fussy.

When I thought about the fact I had my roots done every 3 weeks and a cut every 6 weeks, the cost of the wigs really wasn't outrageous.

If one is available near you, I'd suggest going to a wig shop/maker.  Decide how much you want to spend in advance. And, good luck.

Trusted Contributor

@lulu1   That would have been my first choice to sit down in a wig salon, but I'm not ready yet to risk anything, so I'm looking for a temporary fix right now.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

@Oznell might have some suggestions.  

Respected Contributor

@Deree I have been pleased with my Toni Brattin from QVC. I recommend the shorter styles since they look more natural to me. Her wigs come in two head sizes so you can measure and get the one closest to your measurements. If the size chart is not on the Q then go to her web site to use it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wear wigs on and off and Estética has some nice synthetic, realistic wigs. So far, those are the only synthetic wigs I will buy.  The part and hairline is realistic and they have a nice selection of styles from short to bra strap length. The colors are multidimensional and aren't as shiny as others. I get mine through cysterwigs.com
I mostly wear human hair wigs and toppers from Lu's wigs and Milano (mcwigs.com) now though. 

I would not recommend the wigs sold here unless you want to check out how a style or color would look and don't want to be out a lot of money, but some people seem to do well with them. 

Honored Contributor

If you want a realistic wig, ask 

@Annebellethecat.  She helped a friend of mine that experienced breast cancer.

It seems the nice ones were off of the Toni Braxton site.

Trusted Contributor

When I say a realistic looking part, I mean a part that you can see that looks like skin.  I was looking on amazon at some ridiculously inexpensive wigs and they had parts.  Some of the reviewers (who posted very nice looking pics) said they applied foundation to the part to make it look like skin rather than mesh.  A real head of hair has a part that you can see -- not a pile of hair combed every which way that all you see is hair and not any part, if that makes sense. unless it's a really short haircut.

Again, my hair is down to my waist and straight to wavy, so I'm looking for one at least below my shoulders.  When hair is that long, it doesn't have "hat-like" volume on top.  If anyone has ever seen Wendy Williams, her long wigs look completely natural.  They're not too dense on top, and have a natural hairline and natural part.  Hers are custom-made, of course, and even though there are some sold under her name, they are not the same.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deree   I agree with @On It  about Toni Brattin wigs and the fact that she has 2 sizes.  I have a bigger head so i know I would be the larger size.  I would purchase from her if I buy one.  I would also look at Raquel Welch who has a sale on some of her wigs now $140 but you are comparing apples to oranges. 

kindness is strength