Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a realistic wig...

@Deree   Any wig shops in your town?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Deree,   I love wigs and have a fair amount of experience.  Have also had good experiences with Estetica, as others have said, and Raquel Welch, Tressallure, Jon Renau, etc. 

Synthetics are never a problem to tame the shine--  all you do is dust with dry shampoo, or baby powder, or any wig product made for that specific purpose.  I wear blondes so taking down the sometimes-glaring shine is a must!

Sounds like you want a premium wig with lace front (believable hairline) and monofilament features, either a fully hand-tied top, or just a monofilament part.  Going with just a monofilament part is less expensive than a full hand tied top, and gives you that see-through-to the scalp look that you want.

In the longish style you want, many wig wearers seem to LOVE "Editor's Pick" by Raquel.   Meticulous, realistic hairline that allows you to wear off your face.  It has messy waves and is flattering to many ages and faces:

9643dec0dbbce250f307aea486b9f7ea.jpg

"Orchid" by Estetica, below, is longer and also a very popular, lace front and mono part.

orchid_525x700.jpg

I personally look better with bangs, so I don't care about believable hairlines--  with bangs, the hairline's always covered!

So I can save money that way.  Also, I find lace fronts to be itchy, personally.  A monofilament part is a nice feature I've enjoyed, but have learned how to "dirty up" the part in basic cap wigs, so even that's not an issue for me.

You can find fashionable, more budget choices with Noriko, Rene of Paris, the previously mentioned Toni Brattin ("Alluring" by her is a fun, shorter bob.  All her blondes have too dark roots to look realistic on me, except her platinum, which has lighter, more realistic "roots".)

But everyone has their own priorities, and you should be able to find exactly what you want.

Cysterwigs, Wigs By Patti's Pearls, and Taz's Wig Closet online on youtube do tons of  excellent video reviews-- just google them and select what looks promising.   

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deree My favorite wigs are two from Raquel Welch. They are short, and I never had them cut or styled. They just look good to me. I told someone once I was wearing a wig and she said she couldn't tell. This was in bright sunlight and wasn't said out of pity LOL.

I have one from Toni Brattin, and while it is ok, when I am serious about the wig on my head, it is Raquel Welch.

Valued Contributor

@Oznell Those are some beautiful wigs! Thanks for posting pictures. If in need of another I will check out your recommendations.

Super Contributor

appreciate your details and comments. website for RW wigs please :-))

Esteemed Contributor

@Deree wrote:

.... without a synthetic shine (some synthetics look better than others) and most importantly, one with a realistic looking hairline and especially part.  I don't know much about wigs, but I guess a lace front and plucked part? Long hair with side bangs.  I'd also spend the money for human hair if need be.  Thanks.

I've never worn a wig, but there is a lady who has a channel on youtube that I follow. It is Jill Lynn Beauty Therapy and she has reviewed several wigs. And she also mentions that lace front business, she gives tips on putting the wigs on and getting into place. 

She also does makeup tutorials and her before and afters are nothing short of amazing to me.

Valued Contributor

@knittykitty I bought both my RW wigs from QVC.

Valued Contributor

@happycat Thanks for the information on the youtube Jill Lynn channel

Respected Contributor

@Deree  My neice wears a topper wig. She had the same problem your having in finding realistic hair. She went to a hair salon which caters to women with hair loss solutions & also full wigs.

They are also a full salon. I believe it was a silk top human hair peice. It looks so natural.  They have salons that cater to wig wearers that specialize as far as proper fitting & also cut them & style to your liking etc etc. You can google & see if there is one in your area. Good Luck. Google Hair Salons that have hair loss solutions in your area. 

Honored Contributor

I have worn wigs for over 20 yrs. I do wear the monafilament lace front wigs.  In the 90's I sold wigs.  Wigs have come a long way in 20 yrs. The names of youtube wig reviewers given you are all one's I have watched over the years. I do best with the ones who have my head size and face shape.

Most wigs I buy I have to thin but places like Patti's Pearls will do that for you if you like the style but feel it is way too much hair. People are shocked when I tell them I have a wig on.  I have literally had to pull it out of off to show them.

The more you learn from these websites the better you will get.  You will learn all the "tricks".  Right now I am wearing Estetica but I have had Raquel, Noriko, and Rene of Paris.  The Noriko's and Rene of Paris, while the styles are cute, are not nearly as comfortable as Estetica,  Jon Renau and  Raquel W. 

Again, these websites will teach you all you need to know and more about making your wig your own and making it look like "real" hair.  I also sometimes use clips and headbands in mine and pull my own  hair out (at hairline around my face. When people see that...they are looking at your own hair growing right out of your head and it's hard to convince them it's a wig!!!