Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a non-drying, moisturizing, facial powder -- is there such a thing?

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am having more issues with foundation and powder!  

I am an older lady, 66, and have fair, sensiive skin, with rosacea issues, so I have to be careful what I use.  Especially no fragrance.

I use many different foundations and like to use a bit of powder to cut the shine.  I do not have oily skin but I don't like my skin to look shiny from the foundation and also the powder keeps the foundation from rubbing off.  

However, powder seems to make my skin look and feel dry and accentuate fine lines and make me look older.  Who needs that, right?  I try and use a light hand.  

Is there such a thing as a facial powder that is moisturizing?  

I do at times use Balance & Brighten.  It is pretty good and not too drying but at times I would rather use a liquid or cream foundation.

I think for me the fewer layers I use on my skin, the better.  And less likely I will have issues with products sinking in lines, etc.

Any suggestions for products or tips would really be appreciated!

As an after thought, maybe I am just using the wrong type of foundation for the look I am wanting.

I don't like a really matte look, but I don't like a really shiny look either.  My skin is more on the dry side, too.

Thanks so much! 

@AngelPuppy1   I’d skip the powder (almost impossible to find a non-drying one that’s fragrance free) & try using an anti-shine primer in the areas you like matte...t-zone..or all over. The other option is to change to a long wearing matte foundation.

@Shanus 

I never thought of an anti-shine primer.  Don't the matte foundation and anti-shine primers make your face dry or appear dry?  This is definitely what I don't want --- a dry, dull looking face.  I guess I don't know how to explain the look I am wanting.  I  don't like when your foundation looks shiny, I think it looks messy.  Thanks for your reply!  

@AngelPuppy1   I presume you’re looking for a slightly dewey, healthy...not oily complexion. If your skin looks too dry w/ the primer or matte foundation, that’s when you can use a setting spray to add back a moist look or a drop of highlighting. 

@Shanus 

Thank you for the added tips!! I appreciate them!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a non-drying, moisturizing, facial powder -- is there such a thing?

@CalminHeart wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

A dermatologist told me that I should avoid makeup containing oils because they aggravate rosacea. I also avoid moisturizers and other products that have unnecessary oils.  There are a lot of good products out there without filler oils.  

Cover Girl, Nutrogena, Estee Lauder, Clinique, Lancome, and a few other OTC brands offer some oil-free powders.  

I'm 65 and have fair, sensitive skin.   I can't use Balance and Brighten or Bare Minerals as they make my T-zone oilier than normal.  But everyone reacts differently to products.

@CalminHeart 

What do you use if you don't mind my asking?  I have used several Cover Girl foundations and powders.  I have not had any issues with them as far as allergies but the powders all seem to look drying on me.  I am just now starting to try some of the Neutrogena products.  Thanks!!! 

I use serums and moisturizers without filler oils. My skin needs moisture, not filler oils.   I like all the Nutrogena oil-free products and soaps and I just used them all up.  I'm currently using Isomer's pure hyaluronic acid serum with a bit of moisturizer over it at night.  I use Estee Lauder oil-free moisturizer during the day.  I particularly like Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair serum and moisturizers but use them during the day.  I use Patchology under eye patches a couple of times a week.  I don't put moisturizer on my nose because it's just too oily as it is. I have tried so many regular and fancy brands over the years and these are the ones that are working best for me right now.  I've had to change products as I aged since they work on different things.

I use one of 2 soaps/cleansers for face and body -- Shea Moisture Raw Shae Butter with frankincense & myrrh (the only scented soap I've ever ever been able to use) or L'Occitane shae butter extra gentle milk soap.  Frankincense and myrrh are supposed to be anti-aging but there isn't a lot in the soap.  Anyway, most cleansers don't agree with my skin so I stick to super gentle ones.  

I don't use makeup unless it's a special situation. I like a matte look, not a shiny look. I've tried what feels like hundreds of brands.  Right now, I use Estee Lauder oil-free matte powder when I want a little cover.  I've been searching for a lightweight under eye concealer but haven't found one that works for me yet.  I've used the Clinique redness powder and bases/foundations in the past.  I use Anastasia eyebrow pencil and shadow.  I was using Cover Girl and Loreal shadows, blush, and brow pencils but most irritated my skin (and didn't last long enough).  My skin is ultra sensitive.

@CalminHeart 

Thanks so much for your indepth reply!  That was very nice of you to take the time to post all of that.  It's all very daunting at times I think.  It was so easy when I was young.  I always had sensitive skin but I had good skin back then and didn't have to do a lot to look great and most importantly, I didn't have to give it much thought!  

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

You might want to look at Sharon Danley's youtube videos.  She is in her 60's and wears only powder foundations.  Her skin always looks nice for her age.

@jubilant 

Thanks for this info --- I will check her out.  I used to watch Angie's Hot and Flashy and she is good but for me, she uses too many things!