Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a new concealer , Hot and Flashy said

Well the good news is that you can more than likely return an item if it doesn't work for you.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf , I use the L.A. Girl Pro HD Concealer in the peach corrector shade.  It is under $5.00.  That works really well for me.  I have also used the MaryKay peach corrector and loved that as well but it is more than triple the price and it's not any better for me.

I've never tried the Pixie.  I did try the Flower Beauty corrector and returned it because it was too drying to my undereyes.     

I know everyone has their likes and dislikes and what works for one might not work for others.  I am not a fan of Tarte Shape Tape at all because I find it too drying.  I am using it now because it was expensive and I want to use it up.  I also know people love and rave about Maybelline Instant Age Rewind and for me, that was one of the worst concealers I used.  It is way too thin to do anything for my dark circles and I found it horribly drying.  Even with a corrector I couldn't get this product to work.   

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  I had the same problem with Maybelline Age Rewind, it's too thin to do anything. I'm very light/ yellow undertone and it didn't cover my dark circles at all.  I'm going to give it one more try in the Neutralizer shade, which is quite light, and see if that has any better coverage than the regular shades.

A while back I tried the LA Girl Pro HD in the peach shade and it was so dark on me, even with concealer over it.  I wish they made that in a lighter peach color, I'd use that.  I also tried Shape Tape and that was extremely drying for me also.  I returned it to Ulta.  

I hope someone here reviews the new Lancome concealer.  The search goes on!

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@decaf wrote:

@Shanus  I don't wear foundation so I'd be interested to know if this concealer works well with just a bb cream or even alone without foundation.  I've found some full coverage concealers only look right when blended into a real foundation. 

@decaf   I stay clear of full coverage concealers. They rarely work if you have the slightest bit of wrinkling or dryness under the eyes. I don't wear foundation and find a lightweight concealer works fine. Of course, color/shade is the key AND proper hydration with an eye cream, too. 

A full coverage concealer, in your skin tone shade, works great for covering imperpections, but just not under the eye unless you're younger w/ no issues of lines or puffiness. It will only exaggerate this. 

ITA with all you said, I suppose I'll be reading reviews from women over 50 since this one is called their 'full coverage ' concealer.   H+F Angie always wears foundation and also looks like she has fillers or had work done, so, for me, she's not always the person who decides what's the absolute best product.

@decaf   She has admitted to having laser procedures on her face and under her eyes for sun spots, rosacea, build up collagen, smooth her skin. I'm not sure what else she's done to her face and neck at 57. You're correct when you say she's not the best example to follow for recommendations of products for older women. 

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Lipstickdiva  I had the same problem with Maybelline Age Rewind, it's too thin to do anything. I'm very light/ yellow undertone and it didn't cover my dark circles at all.  I'm going to give it one more try in the Neutralizer shade, which is quite light, and see if that has any better coverage than the regular shades.

A while back I tried the LA Girl Pro HD in the peach shade and it was so dark on me, even with concealer over it.  I wish they made that in a lighter peach color, I'd use that.  I also tried Shape Tape and that was extremely drying for me also.  I returned it to Ulta.  

I hope someone here reviews the new Lancome concealer.  The search goes on!

@decaf , the neutralizer shade is what I had in the Maybelline.  Hopefully it will be better for you.

I can absolutely see that this LA Girl peach corrector would be too dark if you are very light.  I don't know why they don't make this in a lighter shade.  I tried a NYX one in the pot and it was way too dark for me.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@MW in Iowa @decaf @Lipstickdiva @Shelbelle @lkat  and any others.

Have you ever seen the lighting setup in these YT women who are recommending makeup brands items? They spend thousands on ring lights, reflectors, the perfect camera and angles to eliminate shows. They know how to position their faces to eliminate shadows.

Keep in mind, they also are paid and gifted these items to give a positive review.

@Shanus I'm quite aware of what goes on as far as YouTube beauty reviews.  I respect that you have a lot of experience, but so do a lot of us that post on this forum and I feel like you talk down to people sometimes.  Maybe that's not intentional, but it feels that way to me. 

I get that you don't like Angie from H&F.  Personally, I believe her when she says what procedures she has had done.  I live a few towns over from where she lived until recently and a friend of mine has seen her in person and says she looks just like she looks when she does her outdoors shots in every foundation review.

Obviously I know that I will never look flawless like some women do on YouTube as I don't carry a ring light or filter with me.  However, I have found some women who I listen to when they give a recommendation because I've had good luck with other things they've recommended.  As soon as I need a new concealer, you can bet I'll try the new Lancome one as I have liked their other concealers and have good luck with other products that Angie has recommended.

Honored Contributor

@decaf 

Sometimes I research products until I'm seeing double.

It's called information overload.  Just step away from the computer Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I actually like the Bobbi Brown Corrector.  You get to select what colors you are trying to cover up.  I would rather use the corrector and not bother with the concealer.  Make sure your the skin under your eyes is nicely moisturized.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@lkat wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@MW in Iowa @decaf @Lipstickdiva @Shelbelle @lkat  and any others.

Have you ever seen the lighting setup in these YT women who are recommending makeup brands items? They spend thousands on ring lights, reflectors, the perfect camera and angles to eliminate shows. They know how to position their faces to eliminate shadows.

Keep in mind, they also are paid and gifted these items to give a positive review.

@Shanus I'm quite aware of what goes on as far as YouTube beauty reviews.  I respect that you have a lot of experience, but so do a lot of us that post on this forum and I feel like you talk down to people sometimes.  Maybe that's not intentional, but it feels that way to me. 

I get that you don't like Angie from H&F.  Personally, I believe her when she says what procedures she has had done.  I live a few towns over from where she lived until recently and a friend of mine has seen her in person and says she looks just like she looks when she does her outdoors shots in every foundation review.

Obviously I know that I will never look flawless like some women do on YouTube as I don't carry a ring light or filter with me.  However, I have found some women who I listen to when they give a recommendation because I've had good luck with other things they've recommended.  As soon as I need a new concealer, you can bet I'll try the new Lancome one as I have liked their other concealers and have good luck with other products that Angie has recommended.

@lkat   My intention is to give info, never talk down to anyone. Sorry if you felt that way. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 wrote:

I actually like the Bobbi Brown Corrector.  You get to select what colors you are trying to cover up.  I would rather use the corrector and not bother with the concealer.  Make sure your the skin under your eyes is nicely moisturized.

@Katcat1   Love my BB corrector!!! I use Porcelain Bisque which has a very slight peach tone, so need a light layer of concealer in Porcelain.  It matches my skin tone. FYI: Since I don't use foundation, but a Tinted Moisturizer, it adds even more hydration under my eyes, so I definitely agree about eye cream (day and night), so it will lay smoothly. 

Many women apply foundation over the face and under the eyes. That just adds to the amount of product there to settle in lines. I like to do my corector/concealer first and it's a perfect match to foundations, the edges can just be slightly blended. 

BTW, another poster said "I talk down to people". Do you feel that way? I know I answer a lot of questions/comments here. Just would like a "read" on your opinion. Certainly never want to sound condescending. It's difficult to get points across with my years of experience.