Honored Contributor

Re: Looking for a good Cleanser for AM!

DNC oil cleanser is all I use day and night.  I am 65 with normal to dry skin. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I have learned over the last couple of years that "squeaky" clean is not good for our facial skin.  And squeaky clean leads to our face producing more oil/sebum to compensate.  OK, I just Googled (is it good for our skin to be squeaky clean?) and this was the first hit...

The short answer is absolutely not. Squeaky or tight skin after cleansing equals dry or dehydrated skin. This will lead to fine lines, wrinkles and pre-mature aging. Something we all definitely want to avoid.

If the skin feels tight after washing, it is a sign that the skin has been stripped of its precious water and oil, the natural barrier components your skin needs to stay youthful and healthy.   Consequently the skin will struggle to balance its water/oil protective structure by stimulating the oil glands to produce excess oil, which will clog the pores causing congestion and acne breakouts. Ever wonder why your skin feels dry and oily at the same time? It’s because the skin is being stripped from cleansing with harsh chemicals and drying ingredients.  Then you rush to put your moisturize on to replenish the moisture that you just took out,  
So what should you look for in a cleanser? Toss the bar soap, and the exfoliating cleansers – even if it says it’s moisturizing or gentle. The fillers and binders that hold a bar soap and most over the counter cleansers together  have a high pH, so they will naturally be drying and dehydrating.   Instead, choose cleansing gels or lotions that avoid the ingredients Sodium Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulfate and Ammonium Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulfate –or look for those listed as “sulfate-free”. Sulfates are found in many gel and foaming cleansers and can be equally drying as bar soaps.  Also, avoid exfoliating ingredients in your daily cleanser, such as benzyl peroxide or glycolic and salicylic acids.   These ingredients will also add to dehydration and should only be using sparingly 2-3 times per week, depending on the condition of the skin.

Tip: If you like that squeaky clean feeling after cleansing your face, use a gently wash cloth and cold water when you are rinsing your cleanser. This will help make the skin feel squeaky clean without depleting its water level.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Sooner 

I have learned over the last couple of years that "squeaky" clean is not good for our facial skin.  And squeaky clean leads to our face producing more oil/sebum to compensate.  OK, I just Googled (is it good for our skin to be squeaky clean?) and this was the first hit...

The short answer is absolutely not. Squeaky or tight skin after cleansing equals dry or dehydrated skin. This will lead to fine lines, wrinkles and pre-mature aging. Something we all definitely want to avoid.

If the skin feels tight after washing, it is a sign that the skin has been stripped of its precious water and oil, the natural barrier components your skin needs to stay youthful and healthy.   Consequently the skin will struggle to balance its water/oil protective structure by stimulating the oil glands to produce excess oil, which will clog the pores causing congestion and acne breakouts. Ever wonder why your skin feels dry and oily at the same time? It’s because the skin is being stripped from cleansing with harsh chemicals and drying ingredients.  Then you rush to put your moisturize on to replenish the moisture that you just took out,  
So what should you look for in a cleanser? Toss the bar soap, and the exfoliating cleansers – even if it says it’s moisturizing or gentle. The fillers and binders that hold a bar soap and most over the counter cleansers together  have a high pH, so they will naturally be drying and dehydrating.   Instead, choose cleansing gels or lotions that avoid the ingredients Sodium Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulfate and Ammonium Lauryl (or Laureth) Sulfate –or look for those listed as “sulfate-free”. Sulfates are found in many gel and foaming cleansers and can be equally drying as bar soaps.  Also, avoid exfoliating ingredients in your daily cleanser, such as benzyl peroxide or glycolic and salicylic acids.   These ingredients will also add to dehydration and should only be using sparingly 2-3 times per week, depending on the condition of the skin.

Tip: If you like that squeaky clean feeling after cleansing your face, use a gently wash cloth and cold water when you are rinsing your cleanser. This will help make the skin feel squeaky clean without depleting its water level.

@monicakm Interesting but not everything works for everybody and not all cleansers that leave oily skin feeling squeaky clean are a bad thing to avoid at all times.  

But a wash cloth on my face other than gentle wet blotting is something I can't do or I do wind up with red and irritated skin.

Honored Contributor

Bar soap really isn't good for anyone's face Smiley Sad  "Squeaky" clean is not good for anyone's face. Stripping oily skin of it's oils only causes it to make more oil/sebum to compensate.  

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

Just water in the morning.  It removes the night's products.  Doesn't strip my face or make it squeaky clean (not a good thing).  A squeaky clean face has probably been stripped of it's barrier.  Oily skin might need more.  I'm dry so I don't study what's best for an oily complexion.  YTer James Welsh is a complexion expert and has oily skin.  He's worth watching!

Esteemed Contributor

My mom used the olay citrus cleanser. It is very fine so she uses it every day.