Super Contributor

Re: Looking for a callus remover thingie, which one is better ?

On 3/16/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/15/2015 Crisso said:
On 3/15/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/15/2015 RachB said: I use Earth Therapeutics foot file that you can buy at ulta. I bought the emjoi. With the file, I can accomplish in 5 minutes what it takes the emjoi 20 minutes to do.

Someone here had mentioned it. It might have been you. I bought it a couple months ago, and it accomplishes exactly what I want for very little money. I just wanted a very basic way to have relatively smooth feet, and it accomplishes that.

Rach B and Suzy, I haven't tried this particular file. I stopped using a file when I had gone to a salon where they used a roller tool similar to Emjoi but more "industrial". I asked about this and the salon owner said they rarely use files now because the back and forth motion of files can be rough on the skin and cause miniature breakages in the long run and that in the end produces more calluses (skin wants to protect the foot). It is far gentler on the skin to have something that either rotates/buffs or rolls gently and where the pad or roller is not sandpaper grade. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Thanks, Crisso. The one I have is not described as a file but as a wand, which uses what they call crystalline abrasion cells. Their pedicure file, IIRC, was more abrasive.

This one felt relatively gentle compared to some others. I use it lightly in a circular motion when my feet are wet. So far it seems to do a decent enough job.

Thanks, Suzy. I will have a look out for it.

Honored Contributor

I absolutely love, love, love my Emjoi! I walk barefoot a great deal, so I get calluses like mad. I started out using the regular rollers that came with the unit, but it took forever to get my feet in the shape I wanted. I switched to the extra coarse roller once the calluses had built up again and after one or two uses, I can now go back to the regular ones for maintenance.

I use my emjoi sometimes. I bought the new one that is smaller and it works better than the traditional. I think I received a defective emjoi to begin with, when I broke down and bought the new mini one, I couldn't believe how well it works.

I do have a theory about the callus building up. I think sometimes the files, scrapers and such abrade the skin to a point where it wants to protect itself. We remove too much at once. The callus seems to build up faster and thicker. I use the emjoi and that micro plane when I am in a hurry. I just have trouble bending my feet into position to use the emjoi. I have arthritis.

I find the course and x-course are better. It takes FOREVER with the regular one.

I also bought these high powered Panasonic batteries for emjoi, and wow the unit works faster, longer.

ETA

My callus seems to build up faster than it ever did! Can't figure out if it is old age, or removing callus more often. LOL! Can't win

Honored Contributor

Here is about Baby Foot, wow!

http://www.babyfootusa.com/

Super Contributor

On 3/16/2015 shoekitty said:

I absolutely love, love, love my Emjoi! I walk barefoot a great deal, so I get calluses like mad. I started out using the regular rollers that came with the unit, but it took forever to get my feet in the shape I wanted. I switched to the extra coarse roller once the calluses had built up again and after one or two uses, I can now go back to the regular ones for maintenance.

I use my emjoi sometimes. I bought the new one that is smaller and it works better than the traditional. I think I received a defective emjoi to begin with, when I broke down and bought the new mini one, I couldn't believe how well it works.

I do have a theory about the callus building up. I think sometimes the files, scrapers and such abrade the skin to a point where it wants to protect itself. We remove too much at once. The callus seems to build up faster and thicker. I use the emjoi and that micro plane when I am in a hurry. I just have trouble bending my feet into position to use the emjoi. I have arthritis.

I find the course and x-course are better. It takes FOREVER with the regular one.

I also bought these high powered Panasonic batteries for emjoi, and wow the unit works faster, longer/

I too much prefer the smaller Emjoi. Also the one without batteries which you plug into the wall works great (you never have to guess whether it is the roller or battery that needs replacement).

About your "theory" that is exactly what the salon owner told me, but you say it much better! {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Respected Contributor

The end results look very nice but the peeling would drive me crazy, I wouldnt be able to keep myself from picking at the loose skin which I am sure is a real no no. I saw these on ebay.

Honored Contributor

I referred the wrong brand of batteries in my previous post. I now use Energizer super powered lithium batteries for the Emjoi. / Not Panasonic They came highly recommended for appliances that have a faster spinning unit. i.e. the emjoi, a sander or shaver or ice shaver. Where the unit needs more force to rotate more times per minute. I have cut the battery use for Enjoi in half. More important it speeds along at a steady pace without slowing down or "flickering"

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2015 SeaGal said:

The end results look very nice but the peeling would drive me crazy, I wouldnt be able to keep myself from picking at the loose skin which I am sure is a real no no. I saw these on ebay.

I know!!! I was thinking , I would then be tempted to get the micro plane or emjoi!

Respected Contributor

Valued Contributor

I use a plain old pumise stone and it works great.

Beckyblu

Super Contributor

On 3/15/2015 Ludog said:

Biosana Swiss Foot File $18 @ Nordstrom

I promise you I have tried them all, this is the best on the market. Honest. I threw out everything else, manual and battery operated.

Thanks for the rec, Ludog. I ordered the Biosana.