Respected Contributor

Looking For A Dark Brown Eyeshadow

I have gotten quite a few of  dark brown eyeshadows they look very brown in the pan but go on either some gray or not so brown as in the pan. Can anyone recommend a dark brown eyeshadow that actaully goes on a nice dark brown? I use eyeshadows for under lower las liner.

Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Re: Looking For A Dark Brown Eyeshadow

I use Clinque eyeshadow 404 for shadow. p;It looks lighter in the compact, goes on darker and Mac Corduroy eyeshadow  for liner on top and bottom. I have Auburn  hair and blue eyes and it looks great, no gray at all.

Honored Contributor

Bobbi Brown Espresso.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Bobbi Brown Espresso.

Second this. I use it on my brows as well.

Respected Contributor

Use a primer. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

Use a primer. 

I agree. Primers will intensify the color and prolong the wear time.

Esteemed Contributor

Doll 10 eye shadow palette has 2 browns: a medium and a dark -- the 2 center, bottom row. They really stay on, though I only use them on brows.

Doll-10-Pro-Eyeshadow A284240

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem! Oftentimes, I would buy a shadow and it would end up looking muddy on me.  I later learned that how an eyeshadow color shows up on your lids, all  depends on your lids' skin tone and shade. Smiley Happy

To get the color you see in the pan, you can either use an eye primer, or you can try to figure out your skintone and shade. Then choose a tone and shade of brown to get you the end result you want.

For example,

A neutral brown matte eyeshadow on a very fair skin tone will look much as you see it in the pan, BUT on my medium neutral olive skintone? It will tend to look muddy, ashy, cool toned brown. My skin tone eats up red and copper pigments. For a neutral dark brown eyeshadow look, I need to pick browns that have a reddish or plum-ish, or  cinnamon brown tone. Once on my eyelid, they do look more likea true dark chocolate brown. 

My favorite dark brown e/s that actually look BROWN on me are:

-MAC Embark .....plummy dark brown

-MAC Ground Brown ....deep coffee bean brown that shows up as a pure rich brown on me. 

-MAC Espresso Brown ....slightly lighter than Ground Brown, but still dark. 

-CatCosmetics Espresso Brown .....this is probably my all time favorite brown shadow, or at least tied for 1st place with MAC Ground Brown! I love this for lining my eyes, or for smoking them out, or for defining the crease. All of the above blend well but this is the smoothest of the lot. So so beautiful!

If you are really into neutral eyeshadow looks, and want a palette, look at Kat Von D's Shade & Light palette! She gives you 3 base shades, plus 3 "sets" of eyeshadows (neutral, cool, and warm tones), and the shades include a pure black and pure white shadow, for endless shade possibilities. The shadows blend like adream! So so buttery! All of the shades show up true on my lids, with or without a base. Smiley Happy  I wasted so much money on so many neutral eyeshadow palettes and I hated everyone, until I got this one. All of the others looked so grey brown muddy on me (UD Nakeds 1, 2, and 3, LORAC Pro, Two Faced Chocolates, etc). The KvD palette is gorgeous!

Note: 

All of the above mentioned shadows are mattes.

Trusted Contributor

PurePressed Eye Shadow Single@cuddlesmamaJane Iredale has a couple of great browns. This one is called "Dark Suede". I have used her products for years.

Trusted Contributor

PurePressed Eye Shadow TripleAnother Jane Iredale. You get two different browns. These eyeshadows have great staying power and color pay-off. They go on like silk.