Esteemed Contributor

Do fragrances ever go bad? I haven't looked this up on the web, but thought you fragrance experts might know or have some thoughts.

I used a vintage (and I mean old) Chanel No. 5 this a.m., and it was still really nice.

Honored Contributor

Yes, they can go bad, but some will stay a long long time in a bottle with a good seal in a cool dark place.

Some of the new ones stsart out bad in the bottle in my opinion.  So many of them have an artificial edge to me. . . better to have one lovely one than a bunch of duds in the drawer. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner

Thanks, Sooner!

I know what you mean about starting out bad. I can always smell a synthetic. This was made before synthetics were even thought of. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Unopened, fragrance will last much longer, of course. The alcohol levels will not do the fragrance any favors - by the way, having worked for a major fragrance supplier back  in the day, most fragrances are created in the lab, not by picking flowers from the field or garden. Don't get me wrong - I loved working in the industry, but I also learned that synthetic, created fragrances are the norm, not the exception. ONE way of extending the life of your opened fragrance bottles is to keep them in the fridge, especially in summer, or warm climate. Open one bottle or two max at a time so as to preserve your favorite fragrances. Enjoy~

Respected Contributor

I really don't buy traditional perfumes or colognes anymore, but I do remember opening bottles of good perfumes that were sitting around for years and noticing they didn't smell like they should anymore.  I think some will hold up better than others.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Yes, they do. Scent changes over time.

Respected Contributor

Some Philosophy fragrances went bad on me, and they weren't even all that old.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York