Super Contributor

Thanks to Kind1too's post back in June, I started using generic Listerine on my scalp. Wen was causing so much buildup and I was getting scabs on my head.

The Listerine works! I use it about twice a week. I dab it on my scalp, let it dry, then get into the shower. I'm back to using Wen and my hair feels very clean.

I also add a teaspoon of baking soda to my hair every once in awhile when I feel buildup.

I am thrilled with the results of these inexpensive, natural, products. Thanks!

Super Contributor

My grandson is also using a generic Listerine product to get rid of flakes. He's had this condition since he was a baby & I would use baby oil & a fine tooth comb before a shampoo. So far it's helping him.

Honored Contributor

Listerine is a brand name, there's no such thing as generic Listerine. As for scabs on your scalp, scabs form over skin wounds. I don't use WEN but I'm pretty sure that WEN doesn't scrape or injure the scalp so severely that a scab develops. That build up isn't a scab, it's a dirty scalp. It's gunk adhering to the scap because you aren't cleansing your scalp. The dead skin cells and the oil builds and builds. The "Listerine" and the baking soda are just cleansing your scalp. Why don't you just wash your hair with baby shampoo once a week, making sure that you massage your scalp with your finger tips to remove the gunk?

Super Contributor

Listerine is not a natural product and is full of alcohol. It's not something I'd want on my scalp or in my hair. If you are getting that much buildup that your scalp is crusty, you probably need wash more and/or rinse better. I am a Wen user and never get any kind a buildup on my scalp. I've been using it for about 5 years now. You'd be better off using a clarifying shampoo once in a while than putting Listerine on your scalp.

Super Contributor
On 9/10/2014 chrystaltree said:

Listerine is a brand name, there's no such thing as generic Listerine.

Then what about generic Tylenol? Tylenol is a brand name. Acetaminophen is the ingredient, but we don't call it generic acetaminophen, we call it generic Tylenol. Right? Am I missing something?

Super Contributor

It's leaving scabs on your head, and you're still using it?!! I've never used anything that caused scabs, but if I did I would discontinue use.

Honored Contributor
On 9/10/2014 Zcat said:
On 9/10/2014 chrystaltree said:

Listerine is a brand name, there's no such thing as generic Listerine.

Then what about generic Tylenol? Tylenol is a brand name. Acetaminophen is the ingredient, but we don't call it generic acetaminophen, we call it generic Tylenol. Right? Am I missing something?

Wrong. I call it acetaminophen, not Tylenol, because if it's a generic, it's not Tylenol. The thing you're missing is the point of a generic. A generic is not a brand and a brand is not the product which bears its name. A tissue is not a Kleenex, it's a tissue that might be made by Kleenex, Puffs, or Scott.

Honored Contributor

No way am I putting that on my scalp. Yuck. And yes, Listerine is not a natural product.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor
On 9/10/2014 Zcat said:

It's leaving scabs on your head, and you're still using it?!! I've never used anything that caused scabs, but if I did I would discontinue use.

I had the same problem & quit using WEN. Of course I mentioned it here & got told by several posters that I wasn't rinsing enough. Since I've been washing my own hair for over 56 years, I'm pretty sure I know how to rinse it sufficiently.

To the critics of the technique: I don't see anything wrong with the O/P using the generic listerine if it worked for her & enabled her to continue using the WEN which was what she wanted. Give the woman credit for having the intelligence to manage her own issues.

Honored Contributor

I don't use Listerine on my scalp - I don't even like to use it in my mouth.

I use WEN oil and my own jojoba oil blend to dissolve buildup. I also mix the jojoba oil with brown sugar and tea tree oil and make a scalp exfoliant. You can find loads of DIY recipes by searching online for scalp scrub or scalp exfoliation. I learned about that from the Curly Girl book, which recommends mixing the brown sugar into your conditioner for a DIY scrub.