Valued Contributor

Listen carefully to the sales pitch

I was watching the beauty show tonight. Sandra was all excitied about a Julep 3 piece collection. The one day only price was $ 29.95. She kept saying it would usually cost $ 62.00. That sounded like a bargain to me until I checked the screen and noticed it would cost that much if the 3 items were  purchased separately. The usual price for this 3 piece collection is $ 36.50 so really the big bargain was a savings of $ 6.58. You have to be careful when they say how much you are saving !

Respected Contributor

Re: Listen carefully to the sales pitch

Don't necessarily think they are trying to pull a fast one on us.  It could be just Sandra speak, stumbling over her own words.

Honored Contributor

@elruth wrote:

I was watching the beauty show tonight. Sandra was all excitied about a Julep 3 piece collection. The one day only price was $ 29.95. She kept saying it would usually cost $ 62.00. That sounded like a bargain to me until I checked the screen and noticed it would cost that much if the 3 items were  purchased separately. The usual price for this 3 piece collection is $ 36.50 so really the big bargain was a savings of $ 6.58. You have to be careful when they say how much you are saving !

@elruth

Personally, I don't think she was trying to bamboozle anyone .... just making it sound like a real bargain.  This is nothing new.

The real consideration is do you want the item, and do you think it's reasonably priced?    Bottom line is ...  If you don't really want it, you won't buy it!

Honored Contributor

I' sorry , but what she said is disingenuous. This happens too often, and too many say oh that's just Sandra, Shawn, Jane etc. If something is a good deal, it stands on its own.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Contributor

Just like when Shawn rounds the reg qvc price UP and the talks about adding tax and shipping, then says the sale price is "under"  say $30 if the item is feature priced at $29.95 and what a baragin when you compare the two. Well the shipping and tax jack up the feature price too!

Respected Contributor

Their job is to make it sound as good as possible, in the shortest time possible. I am guessing that even they get caught up in their own hyperbole and totally forget what they said.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Frequent Contributor

They say that all the time about One Day Only's. That is how every host on QVC presents One Day Only's. One Day Only's are usually just a savings of $5.00 to $15.00. However, if you do purchase separately, it's quite a big savings. QVC is not trying to pull a fast one on their customers. My best advice is the always check out what you're purchasing at length. Do your homework!

Respected Contributor

They always give the "if sold separately" spiel.  

Respected Contributor

It is "our" job as consumers to do the research on prices, is it a good deal or not so. Their job to sell....it's called "MARKETING!" They are there to make a PROFIT! They do their job well! Just with S/h charges they are making millions $$$$$.
Respected Contributor

I don't care what they say with their sales hype.  I compare pricing elsewhere, and I often come back and purchase it from QVC.  On some cosmetic and makeup brands, they are very competitive on individual items.  I try to avoid kits and mulitiple packaging because the value usually isn't there.