Super Contributor

Re: List of Companies That Do Animal Testing

[ Edited ]

Yes, I stopped buying Bobbi Brown when I learned they had been acquired by Mother Lauder. I know different people have different views on what's cruelty-free, and that's totally fine...no judging....but for me, if the parent company is a tester, then I scratch them off my list. Also, I know there are several cruelty-free beauty YouTubers who consider IT Cosmetics cruelty-free and maybe they are, but at the risk of repeating myself...when I contacted them a year or so ago asking if  they test on animals or if they have 3rd party testing, I got a response that, in my mind was a red flag. Unfortunately, I don't remember what exactly the response was and somehow, I failed to keep a copy. Anyway, that's just my opinion. 

Thank you for this thread. 

Cat Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I do not believe the list.  It shows Mally is cruelty free, yet her make-up brushes are made from sable or other fur.  This discussion continues to go on and on, but yet you all will continue to purchase items thinking they are cruelty free because that is how they are listed on a website.  It's the little things like the make-up brushes that are made in China that show me a company is NOT cruelty free more than a stupid list which I do not believe is accurate at all.  I have made some mistakes with my purchases thinking I was purchasing cruelty free and after the fact realized that I had bought something that was in fact real animal fur - i.e. a MALLY eye make-up kit.  The brush was a sable brush - NEVER AGAIN.  The whole subject makes me sick to my stomach.  I am not targeting Mally - just using that as an example.  If a company does not state whether the brushes are synthetic - I DO NOT BUY their make-up or brushes - PERIOD!

Super Contributor

ne

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Perricone customer service Rep said they do not do Animal Testing...get your facts straight..you are just trying to make Perricone look bad...just because you can't use Perricone does not mean you can just accuse them of something that is not true...

Honored Contributor

@nycgrl wrote:

I do not believe the list.  It shows Mally is cruelty free, yet her make-up brushes are made from sable or other fur.  This discussion continues to go on and on, but yet you all will continue to purchase items thinking they are cruelty free because that is how they are listed on a website.  It's the little things like the make-up brushes that are made in China that show me a company is NOT cruelty free more than a stupid list which I do not believe is accurate at all.  I have made some mistakes with my purchases thinking I was purchasing cruelty free and after the fact realized that I had bought something that was in fact real animal fur - i.e. a MALLY eye make-up kit.  The brush was a sable brush - NEVER AGAIN.  The whole subject makes me sick to my stomach.  I am not targeting Mally - just using that as an example.  If a company does not state whether the brushes are synthetic - I DO NOT BUY their make-up or brushes - PERIOD!

You apparently do not understand the official definiton of the "cruelty free" title on products. It does NOT refer to products containing animal-based ingredients in which the animal was killed in order to obtain it. It ONLY refers to testing the product or ingredients on animals. So by this very definition, right or wrong, these companies are truly cruelty free.

Now, with that said, I agree that cruelty free should INCLUDE the abscence of ingredients in which an animal was killed in order to obtain it. To me, killing the animals is the ultimate in "cruelty". I don't know how people can happily state how cruelty free their products are and then include animal derived ingredients in their products and not bat an eye. Many lines include animal derived ingredients in which an animal has to be killed in order to obtain it and yet are "cruelty free"- IT cosmetics, perhaps Mally (although Mally claims their animal hair is humanely shaved off and the animals are not harmed in the process), PTR, and more.

I am really trying to be both cruelty free in the technical sense and in the true sense by weeding out my products that contain animal-derived ingredients. This has been difficult because many companies are cryptic, elusive or just downright ignore your requests for information (which tells me they ARE animal derived). But I do the best I can and hope to only get better.

Honored Contributor

@lovetosing wrote:

Perricone customer service Rep said they do not do Animal Testing...get your facts straight..you are just trying to make Perricone look bad...just because you can't use Perricone does not mean you can just accuse them of something that is not true...

who are you referring to in your post?

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@lovetosing wrote:

who are you referring to in your post?

She's probably read this old thread from the beginning. If you look back, you'll see an extended discussion about Perricone.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I understand perfectly the difference in the terms used and how "cruelty free" is to be interpreted.  However, to me it is all the same whether it was tested on animals or the animals were killed for their fur. Neither is acceptable to me personally and I too do my best to not purchase if I have the knowledge.  I have done some research on make-up brushes and animals are not shaved for their fur.  Sable, pony hair, etc. - the animals are killed for their fur in China - it is ripped off their bodies while they live.  The companies are telling you a blatent lie as to how the fur was obtained, i.e. shaving. I do not want animal ingredients and I do not want to contribute to the torture, suffering or death of an animal for the sake of beauty.  As I said the whole thing makes me sick.  Just do yourself a favor and google how "natural" make-up brushes are made please.  It is usually sable, pony hair, squirrel ...

We must all stick together if we are ever to live in a cruelty world or at least a less cruel world.  If we don't, these big corporations that only care about money will always win, but they won't if we the consumers stop buying their products and calling them out on their lies.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  I think being aware of which companies do animal testing is very important.  

Honored Contributor

@nycgrl wrote:

I understand perfectly the difference in the terms used and how "cruelty free" is to be interpreted.  However, to me it is all the same whether it was tested on animals or the animals were killed for their fur. Neither is acceptable to me personally and I too do my best to not purchase if I have the knowledge.  I have done some research on make-up brushes and animals are not shaved for their fur.  Sable, pony hair, etc. - the animals are killed for their fur in China - it is ripped off their bodies while they live.  The companies are telling you a blatent lie as to how the fur was obtained, i.e. shaving. I do not want animal ingredients and I do not want to contribute to the torture, suffering or death of an animal for the sake of beauty.  As I said the whole thing makes me sick.  Just do yourself a favor and google how "natural" make-up brushes are made please.  It is usually sable, pony hair, squirrel ...

We must all stick together if we are ever to live in a cruelty world or at least a less cruel world.  If we don't, these big corporations that only care about money will always win, but they won't if we the consumers stop buying their products and calling them out on their lies.

You did not read my post very well if you think I buy into anything regarding this issue.