Regular Contributor

Re: List of Companies That Do Animal Testing

PLEASE see the American Anti-Vivisection Society website for information about testing on animals. It goes far beyond rats and mice and beagles. Horrific. State by state legislation is being passed slowly concerning animal experimentation.

Most horrific are the U.S. patents being given to companies for creating "new animals" with obvious defects to test on, breeding beagles with lung disease was recently outlawed. Thank God. But many, many others exist, I read there are over 600 patents for specialty animals bred for the sole purpose of experimentation. Cosmetics experimentation and pharmaceutical experimentation among them.

And also there is of course the other horrific topic of pound seizure of animals for experimentation. Should healthy animals in pounds go to families or go to labs for experimentation? Why can this even be debatable? Yes, this is a topic of great concern.

If you want to make a difference going to the companies to complain does little. They can use legal counsel to create company privacy guidelines and they don't have to divulge "secrets" to you. Support the American Anti-Vivisection Society. Work through your legislators. Live experiments on live animals is cruel and inhumane. Fighting wrinkles and staying 'pretty' should not come at the expense of cruel experimentation on living creatures.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/7/2015 CaitlinH said:

poregirl- your pup is too darn cute! very good looking & fit too!

thank you. even though she is a sweet lil beggar, she gets good walks from my hubs she stays fit.'I can't image her being tortured all for laundry soap, etc.

Of course they cut out their vocal chords so they can't hear them cry.

PURE EVIL!

Trusted Contributor

On 1/8/2015 MoJoV said: There is no excuse for torturing animals for beauty. Thank you OP for bringing this up. Pore girl, what a beautiful face your Miss Beagle has,she looks like she could talk!

we adore her sweet face & believe me, she talks : ahhhhrooooo. hahah

Trusted Contributor

you know all the cute sounds that Snoopy makes? Miss beagle makes equally funny sounds. She's so amusing

Super Contributor

UPDATE: Checked up on some things and got email replies. There seems to be some major confusion right now about do and don't companies. The agencies that keep track have their own criteria and they don't always mesh. With the EU's relatively recent ban on animal testing going forward and self reporting, it's a mess. In any event, I think a few people have mentioned some key things that can be relied on as definite "do". Paula B provides a good summary, but even she points out the flaws and her own prejudices (e.g. she does not believe that an individual company that does not test should be penalised because the parent company does).

So, Perricone seems to be a does not from all angles. My bad. But not so philosophy, Bobbi Brown, PTR etc....

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-product-reviews/animal-testing/

Esteemed Contributor

in case anyone is thinking of buying the TSV or any product from Dr. Dennis Gross, I found this information on his website. I'm happy to know his company is committed to being cruelty free: PETA appreciates and recognizes Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare's™ commitment to remaining cruelty-free. As proud member's of PETA's Caring Consumer Project, we assure our customers that animal tests are neither conducted nor commissioned for our products, formulations, or ingredients. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare™ proudly is, and always will be, an animal-loving company

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Crisso said:

UPDATE: Checked up on some things and got email replies. There seems to be some major confusion right now about do and don't companies. The agencies that keep track have their own criteria and they don't always mesh. With the EU's relatively recent ban on animal testing going forward and self reporting, it's a mess. In any event, I think a few people have mentioned some key things that can be relied on as definite "do". Paula B provides a good summary, but even she points out the flaws and her own prejudices (e.g. she does not believe that an individual company that does not test should be penalised because the parent company does).

So, Perricone seems to be a does not from all angles. My bad. But not so philosophy, Bobbi Brown, PTR etc....

http://www.paulaschoice.com/beautypedia-product-reviews/animal-testing/

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 Mochahoney said:

in case anyone is thinking of buying the TSV or any product from Dr. Dennis Gross, I found this information on his website. I'm happy to know his company is committed to being cruelty free: PETA appreciates and recognizes Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare's™ commitment to remaining cruelty-free. As proud member's of PETA's Caring Consumer Project, we assure our customers that animal tests are neither conducted nor commissioned for our products, formulations, or ingredients. Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare™ proudly is, and always will be, an animal-loving company

Thank you! I heard a rumor spread about Dr. Gross no longer being cruelty free so my husband no longer reordered his ferulic acid and retinol serum, which he loved. I have since learned the rumor was not true so although he is happy with NCN's retinol product, he said if I can get this for a good deal or sale, to purchase it again, as NCN's prices keeps going up.

Frequent Contributor

Ok please, no one take this as disrespectful. I really have a question that I'd like to know what people think. Women won't use products that are tested on animals but what about products that have animal products in them?? How is that any different? Products may not be tested on animals but may contain animal products.....how are the two any different?????

Super Contributor

On 1/9/2015 KringleB said:

Ok please, no one take this as disrespectful. I really have a question that I'd like to know what people think. Women won't use products that are tested on animals but what about products that have animal products in them?? How is that any different? Products may not be tested on animals but may contain animal products.....how are the two any different?????

Live animals are being tortured to test ingredients.

Supposedly, the ingredients are harvested from animals that are already dead and being used for other purposes, such as food and are not being killed just for whatever substance/s they harvest from them for cosmetic purposes, or so they say. There are a few exceptions, like the female beetle that they purposely crush for the carmine that's used for coloring cosmetics, like lipstick.

But I see what you're saying. Why not do all or nothing? Like a vegan wearing leather shoes?

I guess it all comes down to personal choices and doing what each of us feels most comfortable with.

Personally, I stay away from products that are tested and that don't contain animal ingredients and try to stay diligent, to the best of my knowledge. Part of the latter, the animal ingredients, has to do with a bit of an eww factor, for me. I can't fathom putting Rooster combs on my face or cholesterol, don't even want to know where that comes from. Same goes for elastin and collagen.

I don't have a problem with beeswax.

And I'm not a Vegan, we eat poultry and dairy.