Honored Contributor

Re: List a bad skin care product or makeup item you used and ....

Somewhat recently I've been disappointed by IT Cosmetics foundations. The color match is always too yellow. Kept thinking I was the problem. Nope. I look better without foundation. A tiny bit of concealer here and there and I'm good.

I haven't used any bad skincare in a long time. I would never try something like Purity Made Simple etc nowadays because I know from looking at the ingredients they would not be good for me. Lots of fragrance, essential oils, unnecessary exfoliants, sulfates, drying alcohol, silicones, tea tree oil, sometimes algae...or even just a basic product with hardly any actives in it...I don't give any of them the opportunity to disappoint me anymore.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Urban Decay Eye Shadow Base.  After a few days of using this product, my eyelids stinging when I applied it.  

Now I use Two Faced which the ladies in makeup kindly suggested.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

WEN holds the top spot for me; Josie’s exfoliating powder (Tatcha rice is fabulous), IT foundation (too dense);  anything too frosted or sparkly; Elemis (too perfumed); Mally mascara (once great before formula change); Laura Geller face products; Kate Somerville Exfolikate burned my cheek (and I left it on half the recommended time).  

Valued Contributor

Purity Made Simple - have tried it several times, and it just strips my skin of all things good.  

MAC Prep and Prime Skin Base Visage - Made my face look pasty with big pits for pores.  It also made me break out really badly...like a teenager.

Cetaphil cleanser - still don't know what this is supposed to do.  It does nothing but make a mess for me.  

Honored Contributor

@kittycatmeow wrote:

I've been using the Aveeno Ultra Calming Lotion for about 10 years and love it! I use it under translucent loose powder (I don't use foundation) and it has just the right amount of moisture.  I have fair, sensitive skin and it's very soothing.  My cheeks sometimes get red and this lotion really calms that down.  I use the formula that has spf 15 in it.  

@kittycatmeow 

Don't know what it is about this product -- but it seems to hate me!  Glad you like it!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone! So interesting to read your replies and see what you have used that have not worked out!  Some products seem to be ones which many, many have not been able to use or like!  I don't think I will ever find a cleanser and moisturizer that I am really thrilled with.  I just have to settle with one that does not seem to cause terrible issues.  I have learned though that no fragrance is a must and the fewer the ingredients the better!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Occasional Contributor

Philosophy Purity Made Simple!
What a misleading name!! Even if it "works" for you I would definitely not be rubbing that on my largest organ, my skin!!! Here are the INGREDIENTS & I highlighted the "bad" ones:
Purity Made Simple One-Step Facial Cleanser: Water (Aqua), SODIUM LAUROAMPHOACETATE,
SODIUM TRIDECETH SULFATE, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Cocoglucoside, Coconut
Alcohol, Peg-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil,
Geranium Maculatum Oil, Guaiac (Guaiacum Officinale) Extract, Cymbopogon Martini Oil,
Rosa Damascena Extract, Amyris Balsamifera Bark Oil, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Oil,
Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil,
Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil, Piper Nigrum (Pepper) Seed Extract, Polysorbate 20,
Glycerin, Carbomer, TRIETHANOLAMINE, METHYLPARABEN, PROPYLPARABEN, Imidazolidinyl Urea,
Yellow 5 (CI 19140).
There are dozens of safer & better ones!! The same goes for all their all-in-one shampoo/ body cleansers... yikes!!! Soooo full of the bad ingredients!! Not good for skin or scalp!!
Respected Contributor

I NEVER ever break out any more. I am in my midsixties,with Combination skin. ELEMIS plugged  up my pores. I had one bump on my upper cheek that took months to smooth out. I used the Cleansing Balm Cream, Serum and Marine Cream. I wanted to like the line and not sure which product in the line or all that affected me. Too rich for my skin.

Regular Contributor

#1 - The NoNo hair remover.  It supposedly burns the hairs off your skin.  I did find it had a burned hair smell while using, but most of the hair was still there.

#2 - Epilators, bought two, the first battery powered, the second a plug in.  Again, you feel something tugging, but leaves too many hairs.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Purity by Philosophy.  Burns my eyes.  However, they keep saying it is so gentle even on eyes.

I tried it once and it made my face itch.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan