Regular Contributor

@suzyQ3 No one said otherwise??? Vote your preference.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

They were most likely offered early retirement with benefits to make it worthwhile.  25 years at a job is a long time... probably time to retire.

It is just economics to want a younger job crew.. costs the company less to  keep them on as employees. It is just a fact of life. Some  people just  want to work forever... into their 70's and on. Just makes little sense. Life is short... smell the roses...

Lisa is not longer an employee... she should butt out of this  conversation.

I have always felt that, although it works out well for some, offering the aging workers early retirement is just a legal way to cover age discrimination. Every age offers something important to a company. Some people prefer and love working past 65.

So true. I have a friend right now who is still working fulltime and she is 64 and said because she wasn't good about saving, she will probably have to work until she is 70......She started working in her early 20's......

Honored Contributor

99-Year-Old Secretary Celebrates Her 80th Year on the Job - and Has No Plans to Retire

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/wellness/99-year-old-secretary-celebrates-her-80th-year-on-the-jo...

Is that is that a typewriter she has on her desk?   LOL!  Yes, let's keep everyone working forever!

Trusted Contributor

@QVCPhobe wrote:

Lisa posted that a number of staff at the Q were laid off today.  She talked about a friend who recently celebrated 25 years there was also let go.

Lisa Mason seems like such a kind hearted person!!!  I really miss her on the Q

Respected Contributor

@JasoninBoston wrote:

@QVCPhobe wrote:

Lisa posted that a number of staff at the Q were laid off today.  She talked about a friend who recently celebrated 25 years there was also let go.

Lisa Mason seems like such a kind hearted person!!!  I really miss her on the Q

Me too. She seems like she has a light within.  I missed her when she left. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lisa Mason on FB todsy

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624

YES - I do know a lot about people working for companies for many years - great employees - who got laid off in the early 1990's - when the computers entered the work-force. Middle management and upper management people got laid off because they "made good salaries"; they were getting "pensions" and other benefits, etc. Then - these same companies hired younger employees at half the salaries and no pensions. It was all over the news.

If these hundreds of QVC employees werern't doing their jobs - they would have been FIRED at different times --- not all being thrown out the door at the same time. Most people over 50 yrs old will find it VERY difficult finding another job. Are u aware that most "good paying" jobs are being out-sourced. Have u heard about that? Are u aware that employers DISCRIMINATE by age - and it's very hard to prove.

Why are u so angry? This is a board where we can express our opinions.

Honored Contributor

There might be many factors behind this but I'd hazard a guess that one of the biggest factors relates back to the awful financial report(s) indicting that all isn't exactly rosy at QVC... Most of that can be attributed to year after year of narrow branding and other fully rotten management decisions, then compouded by not taking necessary steps to right the ship and most specifically not heeding feedback tendered by many long-term customers...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Zefra wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ You are free to interpret it that way, but I meant it as stated.

Uh, yes, I know you did, hence my answer. 

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Kachina624

YES - I do know a lot about people working for companies for many years - great employees - who got laid off in the early 1990's - when the computers entered the work-force. Middle management and upper management people got laid off because they "made good salaries"; they were getting "pensions" and other benefits, etc. Then - these same companies hired younger employees at half the salaries and no pensions. It was all over the news.

If these hundreds of QVC employees werern't doing their jobs - they would have been FIRED at different times --- not all being thrown out the door at the same time. Most people over 50 yrs old will find it VERY difficult finding another job. Are u aware that most "good paying" jobs are being out-sourced. Have u heard about that? Are u aware that employers DISCRIMINATE by age - and it's very hard to prove.

Why are u so angry? This is a board where we can express our opinions.

@kivah  Yes, I do know a thing or two about business practices and lay offs.  I was a manager with the state employment service and supervised the processing of unemployment insurance claims and job placement as well as many special programs over my 32 year career.  I also took discrimination complaints.

I'm not angry I just like to see all parties treated fairly including this employer.  Every time QVC takes a personnel action, with knowing the facts, we have "trash the big Ole corporate giant".  Nobody likes to dismiss an employee for any reason.  I've done that too.  People here act like QVC was being vindictive when I'm sure a lot of thought went into making difficult decisions.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment