Esteemed Contributor

Q is full of ....it.

They want larger profits, younger faces , no commitment.  The 1% theory and big corporations are extremely greedy and feel they owe nobody anything.  This CEO will become so wealthy in a short framework and never have worked the way regular people have to. The is no regard for anyone's lifetime of dedication.  it's all about making the most money.  They are waiting for all the old shoppers to die off and hoping to grab the new ones.

Esteemed Contributor

@Suziqzee wrote:

We know the people who were laid off were hard working and dedicated because Lisa Mason KNEW them and said so on her Facebook post.

If Lisa told you to jump off a bridge would you do it?

Honored Contributor

When did it become wrong to feel bad for someone who has lost their job ? We all know how corporations work. This board can be a cold place.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Why all the snarky and hateful remarks.  Usually if a company has a lazy, unproductive, dishonest employee it does not take 30 years to figure it out.  Companies want to get rid of the high salaries and other benefits these employees get.  It is always about money.

Honored Contributor

Re: Lisa Mason on FB todsy

[ Edited ]

I worked a second job once at a garden center.

I knew and liked the owners, they liked me, but after about a year, they brought in another high school employee (in addition to the other ones they had). I was planning to leave and she said it was just as well because their policy was to hire high school kids because they could pay them less than the adults.

They also had their son and daughter working there. They were a successful, large center.

I was really surprised at this at the time but now realizing it is what a lot of companies do.

Being a loyal longtime employee (or an adult over a teenager) anywhere these days does not seem to be an assurance that they will still have a job at any time.

It is not the security that our parents may have had or even valued, to work for the same company for years.

Now it is certainly a problem for the employee because jobs are not easy to come by in every field for the same salary they may have been used to or any job at all!

It also benefits the company if they can let an employee go before the employee has accrued enough for certain pensions or retirement benefits or to cut back on health insurance. It is ruthless out there for sure!

Another popular thing to do is to let part time employees go that were being paid benefits and only hire and allow a minimum # of hours that do not give benefits!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

years of a weak, sluggish economy means that any managerial missteps are magnified, especially in retail, which depends on not only growth in incomes (which has not occurred for some time now) but also confidence that the economy is in good shape ( which is not what people are feeling).  economics 101.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lisa Mason on FB today

[ Edited ]

There seem to be several issues brought out in this discussion. First, it seems that we have a culture where it has become OK for the powers-that-be to make hundreds of times more than the average employee. This was not the case years ago. I'm not saying that corporate leaders shouldn't be well-compensated, but how much is enough? Is an $18 million yearly salary acceptable when people who need an EpiPen have to pay hundreds of dollars for one dose of life-saving medicine? As Michael Douglas said in the movie "Wall Street" ...."Greed is good." Doing more with less is what many employees hear while their "superiors" are doing less with more.

Another issue, specific to QVC, is the fact that people are ordering far more online than they did before. When QVC first started, you HAD to speak to an order entry operator. The first inroad was automated ordering. Finally, online ordering took over. With each change, fewer employees were needed. So I do understand why employees involved in that side of things would lose their jobs but I have no idea what categories of employees were just let go and whether doing more with less is going to be the result.

Valued Contributor

I am currently retired but worked for the same corporation for 30 years.  For the last 25 years I was in supervision.  I had to make hire and fire as well as layoff decision recommendations.  The company I worked for was agressive and buying other companies.  This often resulted with too many employees.  When these decisons were made trust me, work record and work ethic were determing factor. 

Honored Contributor

Well, Yeah, sounds like NO COMMENT into such complex issues is the BEST COMMENT, so that's the direction I'm choosing.

Honored Contributor

@Suziqzee wrote:

We know the people who were laid off were hard working and dedicated because Lisa Mason KNEW them and said so on her Facebook post.

?