Frequent Contributor

@Ainhisg I have the same problem with the eyelids not being as smooth, so about 2 years ago I tried a liquid and was very hesitant at first because all I could think of was the liquid eyeliner from the 80's! I currently use Too Faced Sketch Marker Liquid Eyeliner ($20), it is a  liquid eyeliner pen. Its formula is exceptionally smooth and vivid, and it is waterproof and never fades! I do not try to draw a line with it, I just press it against my eyelid and press and I walk it across my lids until it is completely lined. I have recently tried Loreal's liquid eyeliner pen ($10) and works just as well, so I will be using that!

Respected Contributor

I cannot thank all of you enough for your recommendations.  I was at Wal-Mart today and purchased the Loreal gel liner that @TasMss recommended.  I thought this would be an easy way to try a gel liner to see how I would do since I can return it if needed.  I don't have a flat angled brush, yet, so just used the brush that was included with the gel.  I can't believe how much better and easier this went on as compared to a pencil, and my line is pretty darn straight!  As an aside, I first tried it on my hand to see what it looked like, and those lines are still there just as dark as when I put them on...even after washing with soap and water, so this stuff must really wear!  Pretty impressed with the Loreal product!

I plan on trying several other suggestions/brands from this thread.  @Gr8tfulsoul, I am going to try that one, too, and it's great that you liked it as well as the more expensive brand.

You all are the best, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Heart

PS...I just used up a Maybelline eyelid primer called Master Prime Long-Lasting Eyeshadow Base Prime + Smooth, and it REALLY smoothed my eyelid and held my eyeshadow in place.  The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had a slight shimmer that would occasionally show through my eyeshadow if I didn't get a heavy enough application. I am now using a Milani primer, and while I like the tan color and how it makes my eyeshadow last, it sure doesn't smooth the eyelid like the Maybelline.

Valued Contributor

@Ainhisg To apply the gel liner better, balance your pinky with the hand you are using on your cheek bone and use your other fingers to apply the gel and "walk" the gel across your lashline.  It will provide a smoother line and better application.  HTH

Respected Contributor

@Good4u wrote:

@Ainhisg To apply the gel liner better, balance your pinky with the hand you are using on your cheek bone and use your other fingers to apply the gel and "walk" the gel across your lashline.  It will provide a smoother line and better application.  HTH

@Good4u, thank you! I will practice tomorrow!

Valued Contributor

What works for me (64 yr old eye lids) is Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner. I have used it for years and still love it. It goes on smoothly, and there is a little flexibility in 'fixing' a spot if you miss lining a totally smooth eye. I do try pencils and liquids occasionally, but have always gone back to BB. Some of her eyeliners come with a brush, but with some there is no brush included. 

Regular Contributor

@Ainhisg- I'm so glad it's already working for you. The brushes I use are no longer available. It took a lot of trial and error to find ones that felt right to me. I use the bareMinerals Soft Focus liner brush and Laura Geller (baked cake) eyeliner brush. Both have medium soft bristles that don't hurt to use and have fairly short handles so I can get close to the mirror.  

Smile, it makes everyone wonder what you're up to!
Joined QVC boards long before the last two conversions!

I have been to three different Walgreens and cannot find the Jordanna brand of eye!iner. Is it a regional brand? I am in New Jersey.

Esteemed Contributor

@chocomom

I went into Walgreen's this morning and I could not find it. I was looking up against the walls where they had all of the band names up in lights. I asked someone who worked there if they sold the brand and she took me right to it. I had walked past it. It was in a Kiosk looking box in the Makeup Area.

I ended up picking up the Jordana easy liner pencil for eyes and an eyebrow pencil to check out as well.

I live in Southern California. HTH