Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lipstick Queen Lipstick Users

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3

Too bad the Jean Queen lipstick didn't work for you. Like I'd mentioned, this color really surprised me. Always a true autumn, I found it very flattering and was my go to choice forever. I somehow lost my matching gloss, which is very unusual for me. Oh well... I'll replace it one of these days too. I honestly do not remember anything different about the applicator. But, if you like the color why not use a lip brush, Elf has a functional cheapie.

Also a great tip from Holly Mordini during her Smashbox days was to dab a small amount of gloss on your lipstick bullet, gently mix and apply. All done with a lip brush. This can also lighten the weight and density of a highly pigmented color plus give the little shine from the gloss. It's a nice technique I've utilized many, many times over the years. A good look.

Honored Contributor

@rochelleS wrote:

@suzyQ3

Too bad the Jean Queen lipstick didn't work for you. Like I'd mentioned, this color really surprised me. Always a true autumn, I found it very flattering and was my go to choice forever. I somehow lost my matching gloss, which is very unusual for me. Oh well... I'll replace it one of these days too. I honestly do not remember anything different about the applicator. But, if you like the color why not use a lip brush, Elf has a functional cheapie.

Also a great tip from Holly Mordini during her Smashbox days was to dab a small amount of gloss on your lipstick bullet, gently mix and apply. All done with a lip brush. This can also lighten the weight and density of a highly pigmented color plus give the little shine from the gloss. It's a nice technique I've utilized many, many times over the years. A good look.

@rochelleS, the gloss is a squeeze tube that supposedly pushes the gloss up onto a tiny brush. While my preference is always a doe foot applicator, I would have put up with this if it worked well. But it seems that either nothing comes up, or too much comes up. I'm probably just a klutz. :-)

But it's okay because I bought it from the website only when I wanted some other items on a drastic sale but wanted to get to the free shipping minimum. So I saw that this gloss was also on sale, and it put me over the minimum.

Oh, and I'm embarrassed to say that I don't own a lip brush.  I know, what's up with that? And while I'm in confession mode, I don't own any lip liners, eyelash curlers, sponge applicators, gadgets/gizmos, and probably more.

I hope I won't lose my membership here. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You're adorable @suzyQ3

I highly doubt your 'membership' is at any risk, lol! 

Geez, I don't remember too many gadgets and gizmos in my mother's makeup stash while growing up. She put on an immaculate face, always looked incredibly finished and beautiful. Still does to this day. I had/have quite the role model!

I'm really glad you mentioned the squeeze tube Jean Queen gloss. Frankly I'd forgotten that and had been looking for a doe foot in a tube. I'm going to take a tour of my stash, maybe it's hiding in plain sight. Probably too old by now but at least it might quell the mystery of losing it. 

I hate eyelash curlers. Flunked using them, pinched my lids and that hurts. I do like my beauty blender sponge alot but will confess to buying the mini duo on sale and they sat for years before trying.

I admit there must be some 'good gadgets and gizmos' out there but most appear to be just that...and soon lose their appeal, usefulness and we fall back to our old habits and techniques. 

Valued Contributor

I love Hello Sailor. I was a big fan of It Cosmetics Vitality Lip Flush in Je Ne Sais Quoi. Wore it around the house for color on my lips, but not full lipstick. I tried Lipstick Queen and think the color and conditioning is better. The color changes to a pinkish mauve compared to a brighter pink. I love it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a big fan of Frog Prince lipstick. I got it in a duo at Nordstrom that also included the blush.  Not so sure about the blush...I have to apply it very sparingly.  Some days, it looks okay, other days it looks too bright for me.  The lipstick is always good.

I'm interested in trying the Hello Sailor lipstick. 

Trusted Contributor

Without sounding nosey what color did she choose for you? TIA

Trusted Contributor

Without sounding nosey what color did she choose for you? TIA You mentioned it had a copper tone. I am s&p hair and fair complexion. Pink isn't working anymore.

Honored Contributor

@engineer wrote:

Without sounding nosey what color did she choose for you? TIA You mentioned it had a copper tone. I am s&p hair and fair complexion. Pink isn't working anymore.

@sligo, I think that you meant this for @rochelleS. Always a good idea to either quote or notify or, preferably, both. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@engineer wrote:

@sligo, I think that you meant this for @rochelleS. Always a good idea to either quote or notify or, preferably, both. :-)

Tks for the page @suzyQ3, I probably wouldn't have seen this for awhile. 

So, @sligo this was awhile ago.

Editing to add, this was shorty before Poppy started her company.

It was a Prescriptives lipstick called R/O (red/orange) Electrify 04. Prescriptives can be purchased online but I'd be surprised if this is available. 

A very similar dupe almost identical IRL, is Milani Bonfire 25. Another Milani, a bit 20170817_130114-1.jpglighter red in tone is Sedona Red 21A. All are softly metallic or what I'd call a satin finish. Attractive, flattering and age appropriate.  Do check out the Milani lipsticks at a local drugstore. I buy mine at CVS. This line has excellent lipstick for the price.

I took a pic of the three. Electrify closest to my wrist then Bonfire and Sedona Red. Wish this was better but you'll get an idea of the colors. Hope this helps

Trusted Contributor

I really like her color Medieval Red but unfortunately it really dries out my lips.  I have the same problem with Clinique's cult favorite Black Honey.  It really disappoints me that these products don't work for me as I love the sheer color.  Not everything works for everyone.