Respected Contributor

Re: Lip trio I’ve been loving........

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

@Shanus   Next time you're near a Clinique counter,  check out Merlot.  It's not a screaming red.  It's actually somewhat muted for a red.  Take a look.

I wear about 10 different reds, and that is one of the more subdued ones.  Very pretty and nice consistency.

@nyc1  Next time I give it a try, I’ll tap it on with my finger, no liner...

@Shanus Perfect!   Another good way to do it is to dot it on your lips and spread  out the color with a lip balm (like Laura Mercier's ... but you can use any).  It lessens the impact, but still gives you the color you like.  I do that with many of my really dramatic reds that I love, but may be just a little to bold going on as is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm pretty casual on a daily basis.

I mostly wear Burt's Bees Lip Shimmers in either Rhubarb or Watermelon.

I call them my "complex" pinks.  As in "not simple."

They fit the criterion of not needing a mirror to apply and are surprisingly long lasting for such an easy to use product.

Image result for burts bees lip shimmer

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @nyc1!

I would love to see your list of blue-reds!  I love red lips, too and cannnot have any orange or coral.  If they are too pink-red, they turn pink or hot pink on my lips, yuck!

I currently love Bobbi Brown's Nourishing Lip Color in Poppy and Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Passion!  

Respected Contributor

@Toms Mom wrote:

Hi @nyc1!

I would love to see your list of blue-reds!  I love red lips, too and cannnot have any orange or coral.  If they are too pink-red, they turn pink or hot pink on my lips, yuck!

I currently love Bobbi Brown's Nourishing Lip Color in Poppy and Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Passion!  

@Toms Mom   Hi TM...   Happy to share.  Crazy afternoon...  will give you a couple of suggestions to investigate by the morning.   I can do a pinky red, but anything coral or warm toned is a disaster on me.  I look like I need hospitalization or a clown suit!

Contributor

@nyc1 Thank you so much!  I look forward to it!  Lips are my favorite part of make up!  Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

@Toms Mom wrote:

@nyc1 Thank you so much!  I look forward to it!  Lips are my favorite part of make up!  Smiley Happy 

@Toms Mom  Good morning.  I got home late and in the office early as usual.  I'm only in for a short time and then leaving for Hawaii.  Could not go through my favorite lipsticks last night...  so sorry.    The couple that I know are a blue red are Nars Velvet Lip Pencil (love them... very creamy) in Palais Royal (I also LOVE Damned but that may be too burgundy for you), and Smashbox Red Rage (they have a number of reds).  If you want an in your face red,  Christofer Buckle's Dare.   I actually have that one on today. I just dot the color on and spread it with a lip balm so it's a little more subdued.  When I first got the set (sold on QVC in sets), I thought I would use the other color and never this one.  Turns out, this is so pretty when you use it with the lip balm to tone it down.

Please share anything that you like.  I LOVE lipstick too!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, the lipsticks I've tried and failures I've had!!!!  I'm always on the hunt for long wear that does actually mean longer than 2 hours and doesn't make my lips look like colored concrete!  The latest I have on order is from Colour The World - they are supposedly geared for longer wear, they are creamier than most long wear and won't bleed. (I try hard not to "draw outside the line" like some in my age bracket do but sometimes it just happens! LOL) Also company donates to different causes depending on what color you purchase. I had a coupon and site was offering free shipping at the time so I will see what I think. Reviews were terrific. I've also tried MAC and like the product texture etc but so far haven't been able to find a color that suits me. And really Burts Bees is pretty awesome too considering it's cost doesn't require me to ask for Easy Pay!!!!!

Respected Contributor

@Gramy24 wrote:

Oh, the lipsticks I've tried and failures I've had!!!!  I'm always on the hunt for long wear that does actually mean longer than 2 hours and doesn't make my lips look like colored concrete!  The latest I have on order is from Colour The World - they are supposedly geared for longer wear, they are creamier than most long wear and won't bleed. (I try hard not to "draw outside the line" like some in my age bracket do but sometimes it just happens! LOL) Also company donates to different causes depending on what color you purchase. I had a coupon and site was offering free shipping at the time so I will see what I think. Reviews were terrific. I've also tried MAC and like the product texture etc but so far haven't been able to find a color that suits me. And really Burts Bees is pretty awesome too considering it's cost doesn't require me to ask for Easy Pay!!!!!

@Gramy24  I think most of us can definitely relate!  If you find long wear, you normally can't find the color.  Discover a great color and it's gone in an hour!  Yep.  Been there.  The Nars Velvet Lip Pencil is creamy and lasts longer on me.  The Christofer Buckle lasts longer too.  I'm luckier with the more pigmented shades, which makes sense. 

Honored Contributor

@Gramy24 wrote:

have you tried NYX Lip Lingerie?  they are mainly in the nude family long last feel good

Also Rimmel has a liquid lip that is matte and doesnt dry you out.  not a big range of colors but I got a nude and a pink.  

prices are reasonable if you are not crazy about them. 

Esteemed Contributor

I can't stop wearing It's Je Ne Sais Quois Lip Gloss Stain.  I wear it almost everyday... sometimes alone, but most often I play with multiple lipsticks using the Je Ne Sais Quois as the base layer.   

One of my favorite mixes presently is Je Ne Sais Quois, followed with LipStick Queen Rook (a brownish red from the limited edition Chess Collection), I like Lancome's Henne (a frosted rusty brown) on top.  It should be said that I rarely wear the same lip colors every day.  Right now, the Je Nais Quois is the only one that I take out of the makeup case every day.  I also keep a Je Ne Sais Quois in my purse and often it is the ONLY makeup item I carry around with me.  My other regular go to on days when I don't use Je Ne Sais Quois is Urban Decay's 1993 (reg. lipstick or the liquid version).  It's a soft burnt caramel matte which I discovered during the holiday season when Urban Decay had a promotion running at several stores where lip color products from their Vice Collection were $10.  The Lancome Henne is lovely layerd with 1993 if I want to give the matte a bit of shimmer and shine.