Respected Contributor

Re: Lip Liner. What Am I Missing?

I use lip liner as the base layer for lipstick or gloss.
Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

I've never worn it.  I've bought some a couple of times but never cared for the way it looked.  Maybe because I just wasn't used to it.  I don't wear lipstick.  Only lipgloss or tints.  Why should I wear it?

@monicakm   I feel that when I wear lip liner, my gloss or lipstick has osmething to grip on to. I always wear a shade that's close to my natural lip color, so there's no ring around my lips when lipstick/gloss wears off.

Makeup By Mario makes a good neutral one in "Hugh" and I like NYX in "Beige". If you have any lines in that  area and do wear lipstick, it keeps it from bleeding.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Huge is pretty.  Wonder how he came up with a name like Huge for a lipliner?  May have to ease  into that color if the pink works out for me.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm   It's suppose to keep your lip gloss where it belongs.  You should try to match a lip liner close to your lip gloss color.  Too dark liner looks funny.  You can also take your lip liner and place on top of your lips, then apply your gloss.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 

That's why I bought the Sephora retractable liner in rose` pink.  It's the color of glosses and tints I wear the most (almost exclusively)

Trusted Contributor

Like many others said, it's good for keeping your lipstick from bleeding, can make the lips look fuller and can change the color of the lipstick.  You don't "have to" use one.  

I don't wear lip liner with lip gloss.  I don't like the look of it.  I like lip gloss because it looks more natural and sheer-- which is not what lip liner looks like to me.  

I do like lip liner with lip balm-- like waxy chapstick or burtbees etc.  That is a mositurizng way for me to have a matte lip look.  

I was thinking today, now that masks are becoming a thing of the past (fingers crossed) I will be wearing a bold lip color again.  YAY!!  Ruby Woo?  Where are you?? LOL

Honored Contributor

I have lots of them, but dont use them, I dont find a need for them, my lip gloss stays just where I put it, no migrating. 

Honored Contributor

@justashopper 

I just looked up Ruby Woo.  That is the shade of red I'd wear if I wore red (and lipstick).  I've never stopped wearing lipgloss and/or tint.  What if someone were tgo pull down my mask!!  Can't take the chance lol

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle 

Mine too.  I never knew lipgloss bleeding was a thing.   I didn't have "bleeding" when I wore lipstick.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

@justashopper 

I just looked up Ruby Woo.  That is the shade of red I'd wear if I wore red (and lipstick).  I've never stopped wearing lipgloss and/or tint.  What if someone were tgo pull down my mask!!  Can't take the chance lol

@monicakm  LOL your comment reminded me of the poster who said she puts on makeup to take the trash out  - after all, what if she saw an old boyfriend or that former friend that wasn't nice.  You want to look your best!  

I just ordered some lipliners from BK Beauty that I've been wanting to try and, of course, had to order a couple lipsticks to go with them.