Respected Contributor

I wear lip gloss sometimes.  I especially like red gloss by itself.  I don't like how red lipstick looks on me--too intense--but the gloss is sheer and I can wear that.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Lip Gloss question!

[ Edited ]

Some makeup can be quite aging. A very matte lip or a too nude  lip in the grey/beige family can fade the life out of my face. A little shimmer in the center of my lid at night works, but shimmer/metallics all over don’t work at all. 

I think women of a certain age usually know to tone down their makeup, up their lip color to one a bit brighter and learn to love blush again. 

If most of my face is matte, a bit of gloss is always flattering. Sometimes my “5 minute face” includes a swipe of pink lip pencil blended in and a touch of pink gloss. Sometimes lip colors that are opaque can be a bit much. Many of my lipsticks have a natural sheen or are sheer or semi-sheer over lip pencil....and a touch of gloss.

Respected Contributor

i tend to ignore "rules", and generally wear what i feel like. i'm pretty suire i don't look repugnant, but i will say that i do look older.  guess what?  I AM OLDER Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@fancy pantsy wrote:

i tend to ignore "rules", and generally wear what i feel like. i'm pretty suire i don't look repugnant, but i will say that i do look older.  guess what?  I AM OLDER Smiley LOL

@fancy pantsy   lol. You’re so right. We all do the best we can with what we have to work with. At the end of the day, we only need to please ourselves. 

Honored Contributor

If a professional makeup artist can't come up with any methods to make lip gloss look great on older women, I question his expertise.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I don't wear lipstick because it always ends up on my teeth and I don't like the stickiness of gloss.  I live in the high desert and have to use lip balm so now I've simplified my life by using tinted balm.

Burt's Bees

I'll be 60 this year. Woman Happy

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I'm 55 and don't let age determine what type of makeup I wear.   I prefer lipstick or lipbalms over gloss.  I like makeup and like wearing different shadows including glimmer shadows.  I wear a full face of makeup during the week at work and save the no-makeup look for the weekend. 

Esteemed Contributor

@just bee wrote:

I don't wear lipstick because it always ends up on my teeth and I don't like the stickiness of gloss.  I live in the high desert and have to use lip balm so now I've simplified my life by using tinted balm.

Burt's Bees

@just bee   me Exactly! I wear the same & 60 in April 

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Burt's Bees

@just bee   me Exactly! I wear the same & 60 in April 

@Mary Bailey 

I have Rose and Hibiscus and both shades are flattering.  How 'bout you?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lip Gloss question!

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain wrote:

If a professional makeup artist can't come up with any methods to make lip gloss look great on older women, I question his expertise.

Years ago when Holly Mordeni was the Smashbox rep she demo'd a lipstick/gloss mua trick that I still utilize.

She placed a small amount of gloss on the lipstick, I recall her placing on the side of the bullet, not the top. She mixed the gloss into the lipstick with a brush. Explaining that you can vary the intensity depending on mix ratio. I can get a lovely sheer color payoff to a moister, richer, potent just kissed look. Plus a few in betweens. I can create an attractive lip look while tempering the high shine that I don't always desire.

Hi @Porcelain ! I'm waving. Hope all is well with you. ♡♡♡