Respected Contributor

I am reading a book called "Toss The Gloss".   It is a guide for applying make-up when you are an older lady.   It was written by a professional make-up artist.   In this book, he states that women who are older should not wear lip gloss because it's not flattering to them.

I  prefer my lipstick to be matte or with just a slight sheen.   Most of the time I'll just apply the gloss on my lower lip.   I've always liked the look of a lip gloss over lipstick, I feel it just brightens the face.    I'm not talking about the heavy gloss that the young women wear.   Even for some of them, it's just a bit too much.   

If you are an older lady, do you still wear lip gloss?    Or do you agree with this author that lip gloss should not be worn by women of a certain age?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lip Gloss question!

[ Edited ]

@J Town Girl , I am in my early 60’s.  I still wear gloss.  Not a lot but I do wear it.  An article wouldn’t change my mind.  As I age, I use less make up but this is till on my list.  It helps moisturize my lips.  That’s why I use it.  LM

Honored Contributor

I'm 63. No gloss for me. But I need more color than shine so I usually wear a lippy with a satin finish.

Honored Contributor

when people use the term "older lady" i never know exactly what that number is exactly.

i will be 57 this year and i have no immediate plans to give up lip gloss on top of lipsticks.

i prefer the lipsense brand of glosses.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I think we women are individuals and no advice anyone gives is right for everyone.

If you like lip gloss wear it.  You should be able to figure out for yourself if it looks good on you or not.

No one hits a certain age and presto..things we like have to go.

Honored Contributor

I only wear gloss, regular lipstick is just too drying and gloss just looks better on me. I don’t believe in “ one size fits all “ theories.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I prefer a moist lipstick and I am currently in love with Origin's lipstick for $20.  They also have a lipstick balm which I would like to try.  I do not care for lip gloss and I am 69 years old.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I wear gloss sometimes.  I'm approaching 60.  It really depends on my mood and my outfit.  I just don't wear much makeup, anyway.  Never have been a raving beauty.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

"Toss the Author of Toss the Gloss" Wear what you feel looks best on you whether your 20 or 70 & up. I am 60 & I don't wear gloss on it own because I just don't like it that way & never have...I will wear it sometimes over a more satin finish lipstick or sometimes just a cream lipstick. Lately I have been loving" Sugar" tinted lip balm in the shade Bloom & it does have some sheen. 

Honored Contributor
I was just thinking today trying to decide if I want to buy new makeup that includes gloss and some shimmer shadows. I walked away and left Ulta empty handed but I think I really want it.

I am considering the too faced pretty mess lips which has polite and not polite. The polite is a pretty nude pink liner with gloss. The DSL is a fuschia glitter gloss which I would not wear at 40 something. But I really like the pink.

I like the eyeshadows too but a couple are really shimmer and I don't ever go out. Just work and back.

If you figure it out, let a girl know. I'm wondering the same thing!