Honored Contributor
Update: I went back to Ulta and bought the gloss and palette with shimmer shadow. This "older" woman still thinks she can rock it. Also just finished painting my nails for the first time in years. I love purple! Smiley Wink
Contributor

I am almost 54 and I wear lipgloss all day, every day.  I do have lines around my mouth and I find many lipsticks are too matte, too heavy, and the color doesn't stay where I put it.  So frustrating!  My solution to this problem is to apply a lip stain first.  My favorite is Benefit's Lolly tint.  Once the tint is dry, I use my gloss.  For some reason, I have fewer problems with gloss migrating into my fine lines.  My lips always have color because of the stain.  When I go out at night, I will use a red stain.  Looks great and stays put. Some of my glosses are super sparkly but I like to jazz it up when I go out in the evening. 

Honored Contributor

the lip gloss i try always is too sticky so i quit trying!! i like the look though!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If a professional makeup artist can't come up with any methods to make lip gloss look great on older women, I question his expertise.

@Porcelain   It’s not that gloss doesn’t look great on older women, the fact is it runs into the fine lines around the mouth. Unless you outline w/ a clear lip product that protects against this or lip pencil, even a lipstick with too creamy a texture will also run into those lines...bleed. If you don’t have the issue of feathering, then gloss away. Lol 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus, See? A helpful professional like you or Holly Mordeni can tell us how to make lipgloss work. Mix with lipstick, isolate it in the middle of the lower lip over lipstick, or use lip liner to contain it. You don't say "just toss it in the bin, can't be bothered." Woman Very Happy

@rochelleS Take care of you! I am sorry you had a tumble. If I could make football helmets and soccer cleats required outerwear for everyone all winter long, some days I swear I would do it. Heart

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

I will wear gloss, and I like the new toppers too. One thing I have cut out is colourful  eyeshadow. I love the new tropical shades but I feel I'm too old at 62 to wear them.

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I will wear gloss, and I like the new toppers too. One thing I have cut out is colourful  eyeshadow. I love the new tropical shades but I feel I'm too old at 62 to wear them.

@LisaMofSLC   That’s exactly why when Mally and LG show their sets of bright liners and shadows, Joanne and Helen are not used as models...it’s the younger ones only.

Respected Contributor

Another gloss trick....put your gloss on first then your lipstick. Mixes them together nicely and gives a nice glow and cuts the high shine.

Esteemed Contributor

I wear only lip gloss.  I don’t like colored lipstick.

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@fancy pantsy wrote:

@just bee wrote:

I don't wear lipstick because it always ends up on my teeth and I don't like the stickiness of gloss.  I live in the high desert and have to use lip balm so now I've simplified my life by using tinted balm.

Burt's Bees

I'll be 60 this year. Woman Happy

@just bee , i have the same problem with lipsticks ending up on my teeth.  does this product stay put and stay off your teeth? 

@fancy pantsy 

It stays off my teeth and it doesn't dry out my lips.  Needs to be applied often if you want color to be consistently on your lips, but it doesn't require a mirror.  I keep one in my scrubs pocket at work and just use it like a regular lip balm.

@just bee @fancy pantsy

I use this over Covergirl Outlast lipstain. That way I have some color even when the balm wears off. I usually only use the stain once (when I put my makeup on in the morning), and I'm good to go. I just apply the balm as needed. The balm leaves some moisture behind even after it wears off, at least on me.