Esteemed Contributor

I'm sure there are some improvements but there are too many isses that, at least for me, make this iteration less useful.

1. a tread's OP doesn't stay sticky at the top with new responses directly below. Too much scrolling around to get from point at to point b

2. yanking the "my recent activity" without providing something similar that easy and intuitive is a big issue for me

3. not being able to view my comments, only my original posts doesn't work for me

4. all this white space is just plain ugly

5. not supressing some of the forums from appearing in the main feed (community, games, pets) means it's even harder to find what topics that interest me AND with so much traffic for threads that are of interest to a select, but active minority, posts I work hard to create fall of the home page really quickly

I think the designers failed to take into consideration the key elements that made the previous version a winner. I expect tweaks, but since so many of you are so vocal about how much you like this version (I don't get why, but to each her own) and there's not the huge outrage of the 2010 change, I think this is what it is.

I don't see myself coming here as often to wade through pages of posts that don't interest me and mechanics that simply make so sense.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Trusted Contributor

Re: Liking the New Forum

[ Edited ]

@nomless@gardensla Here's a copy of a  post I made in another thread (sorry, I haven't quiite gotten my brain changed over to referring to them as "topics" yet) that may help.....

I did have success opening the specific topic within a Forum I want to follow, then opening the Topic Options menu and clicking on Float thisTopic to the Top. Now when I open a particular forum, the topic(s) are pinned to the top. I like this much better than the old "My Activity" since I can easily find and follow a topic even if I have not commented on it.

I also plan to make use of tags to help keep track of specific posts I want to refer back to.

I LOVE that we now have so many additional options.

Esteemed Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

I'm sure there are some improvements but there are too many isses that, at least for me, make this iteration less useful.

1. a tread's OP doesn't stay sticky at the top with new responses directly below. Too much scrolling around to get from point at to point b

2. yanking the "my recent activity" without providing something similar that easy and intuitive is a big issue for me

3. not being able to view my comments, only my original posts doesn't work for me

4. all this white space is just plain ugly

5. not supressing some of the forums from appearing in the main feed (community, games, pets) means it's even harder to find what topics that interest me AND with so much traffic for threads that are of interest to a select, but active minority, posts I work hard to create fall of the home page really quickly

I think the designers failed to take into consideration the key elements that made the previous version a winner. I expect tweaks, but since so many of you are so vocal about how much you like this version (I don't get why, but to each her own) and there's not the huge outrage of the 2010 change, I think this is what it is.

I don't see myself coming here as often to wade through pages of posts that don't interest me and mechanics that simply make so sense.

Exactly! Things I might respond to, I'm sure I shall never get to see. (Like I am responding now to things I ordinarily wouldn't.) If they would just bring back sub-categories, then I wouldn't complain about any of the other small stuff.

Respected Contributor

The lack of sub-categories is absolutley my biggest beef with this new forum! The rest of it, I can deal with.

Honored Contributor

Re: Liking the New Forum

[ Edited ]

I like it, too. But I don't know why the original post was tagged with the word WEN, when it has nothing to do with WEN.

That kind of thing makes the tagging system pointless because when someone clicks the WEN tags expecting to read posts about WEN, the person will get this post about the forums. Tagging this topic with the word Forums would be more appropriate.

Trusted Contributor

I don't like or dislike it, nor do I see an improvement over the old.  I guess I don't have an opinion either way about it!  But, that's OK because ALOT of others sure do!!  Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@juperier wrote:

@nomless@gardensla Here's a copy of a  post I made in another thread (sorry, I haven't quiite gotten my brain changed over to referring to them as "topics" yet) that may help.....

I did have success opening the specific topic within a Forum I want to follow, then opening the Topic Options menu and clicking on Float thisTopic to the Top. Now when I open a particular forum, the topic(s) are pinned to the top. I like this much better than the old "My Activity" since I can easily find and follow a topic even if I have not commented on it.

I also plan to make use of tags to help keep track of specific posts I want to refer back to.

I LOVE that we now have so many additional options.

I'm glad you're happy, but as a former UX designer on a large consumer website, I have to say that a well designed site would not require a user to go through so many steps in order to simply navigate a forum. Floating and tagging are two extra steps; extra steps =bad design.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Trusted Contributor

@IcedTeaNoLemon wrote:

Love this new layout and overall aesthetic. IMO it's an improvement.

I agree...  I really like the new look.

But...  I'm really not liking that My Activity is gone.  That's what I used to keep up on threads that I posted to.  Nothing in the new software works like My ACtivity did. 

Right now, it is a bummer...maybe in time I'll decide that I just don't care enough to complain about it any more.

Respected Contributor

I haven't had much time to play with it but I'm sure I will get used to it over time.  So far it is pretty fun.   A few of you have very constructive insights -- I hope you'll share them with the Q.

Respected Contributor

I am still investigating it, but will give it a good try.  Everyone should; the post after post of panic and dismay are just obnoxious.  People act like their house is on fire or something . .  .

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York