Super Contributor

Lighting and mirrors for makeup

I am wondering what you use for lighting and mirrors when applying your makeup.  Do you use a makeup mirror, the mirror above your vanity ( I hate leaning forward to get close to mine)?  What kind of lighting/lightbulb type do you use? I have regular incandesant bulbs and think they provide a yellow cast. 

I am interested in some ideas.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Lighting and mirrors for makeup

@Lucky Dog wrote:

I am wondering what you use for lighting and mirrors when applying your makeup.  Do you use a makeup mirror, the mirror above your vanity ( I hate leaning forward to get close to mine)?  What kind of lighting/lightbulb type do you use? I have regular incandesant bulbs and think they provide a yellow cast. 

I am interested in some ideas.  Thanks!

Over my vanity I have a wall to wall & counter to ceiling mirror w/ fluorescent lighting. On my vanity I use a makeup mirror on a stand that flips from no magnification to 5X. Between the 2 light sources, I see more than I wish I could see!! 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a vaniety table and changed from a small lamp (having to tilt the shade to get enough light).....to a VERILUX with a goose neck which produces natural daytime light instead of the manmade yellow glow. Also use one in reading area.

Esteemed Contributor

My bathroom is equipped with a mirror the length of the wall space over the vanity.  I presently use vanity light bulbs (which I purchase from ACE Hardware).  If I am watching TV and opt to sit in the bedroom to apply makeup, I use a Floxite mirror.  It has lights, but I rarely use that feature.  I apply and do a double check in my great bathroom light.  I'm pretty confident I could do a fairly good job of putting on makeup in a dark closet, so I don't really worry too much about the lighting even though as I said I have great lighting over my vanity.  

Esteemed Contributor

It is much easier for me to see w/ a 10X Floxite lighted mirror. I need the light and the magnification.

Respected Contributor

If it's daylight I open my blind I'm my bathroom and put my mirror there and use natural daylight. In the winter I can't do that, which I hate but....

Valued Contributor

I use Reveal GE bulbs in every room. It provides a clean bright white light (no yellow cast). I also have a 10x mirror for my eye make up.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Dog

My bathroom is tiny & there is very little space for my makeup there. I apply most of my makeup in another room at a little desk that I use as a makeup vanity. I live in an apartment with poor lighting so I decided it would be worth it to invest in a Simple Human lighted mirror. It is great. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a ihome makeup mirror. It was expensive but it lights up really well and no distortion.

Honored Contributor

My bathroom mirror covers the length of the wall over a long vanity. Above the mirror are 5 of those bulbs that are supposed to give off more natural light. I also have a ceiling light in the bathroom. I use a 5X magnification mirror for eyes and close ups but it isn't lighted. As I have grown older I need the magnification and brightness to see.