Esteemed Contributor

Re: Lighting and mirrors for makeup

Our master bath has the wall-sized mirror over the sinks, but I'm too near-sighted to do the detail work on my face leaning over the sinks.  So I have a 20X lighted makeup mirror that's on one of those elbow-type bending bars that's attached to the wall next to my sink.  (I also have portable 20X mirrors that I take on all our trips).  Our bathroom sink has a "hollywood light" fixture over the mirror -- but there's a huge glass block window wall that lets in oodles of natural light all day long.  I usually turn off the overhead lights and use just the light coming in thru the glass blocks to apply makeup in the morning.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I have a vanity that sits right under a huge window...I also have a floxlite mirror that I love for eye makeup...I have to have natural light to do makeupSmiley Tongue

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

I have daylight fluorescent lighting in my bathroom. Nice and bright, true to color.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I fell in love with the Zadro glamour vanity mirror but refused to pay full price.  For 2 years, I used to "visit" the one on display at BBB.  Finally snagged it for $50 less near Christmas time on amazon.com.  It's big and beautiful.  5X magnification one one side and 1X on the flip slide.  The light is dimmable.  I have never regretted the investment.  I created a makeup area on my bathroom vanity and my Zadro has center stage.  It actually inspires me to keep my makeup area organized and tidy at all times. Woman Happy

Zadro glamour vanity mirror.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@zanna wrote:

I fell in love with the Zadro glamour vanity mirror but refused to pay full price.  For 2 years, I used "visited" the one on display at BBB.  Finally snagged it for $50 less near Christmas time on amazon.com.  It's big and beautiful.  5X magnification one one side and 1X on the flip slide.  The light is dimmable.  I have never regretted the investment.  I created a makeup area on my bathroom vanity and my Zadro has center stage.  It actually inspires me to keep my makeup area organized and tidy at all times. Woman Happy

Zadro glamour vanity mirror.jpg

That's a beautiful mirror @zanna. Love the design of it. Heart

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone for the replies! I enjoyed reading them.

What confuses me is lighting.  The light bulb aisle is not what it used to be.  So many choices. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@zanna,

I have seen that mirror!  How nice to enjoy it.  It is bigger than others out there.

Respected Contributor

I don't use much, and not full-face, so I use a large standing hand mirror at my desk.

What does matter is knowing how it looks where I'm going to be seen, so I check my face in fluorescent, incandescent, and natural light. It's the cruel sun that will show that your highlighting product has turned you into a disco queen and you need to add peach fuzz forest management to your skin care regimen. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When we remodeled I took the huge mirror down & had it cut down & framed in a nice frame before we put it back up. Made it so I could place lights on each side of the mirror so I could see to do makeup. It works out well. I use the 60w GE Reveal Daylight Bulbs no yellow. I bought several packages of them back when they said they were going to stop making them. I should have enough as long as I'm around. LOL!!! I also have the Floxite with regular & magnifying mirrors I can use at home or travel. I have a larger OttLite Makeup mirro.

Honored Contributor

@Harpa,  Where did you buy your mirror?  Thanks.

kindness is strength