Trusted Contributor
I let mine go natural after 30+ years. Doesn't look as dull gray and "old" as I expected. Turns out that the undyed color now is similar to what I was trying to get with the light ash blond Clairol. Surprise! No more extra expense and scalp irritation. I still use salon shampoo and conditioner. My hair was getting very resistant to any tints, even "permanent" colors.
Respected Contributor

I wear a swim cap. There are nice ones these days. I would never consider not coloring my hair. Not an option for me.

Respected Contributor

Anyone know a good way to go natural and not cave and dye again? I want to grow out my natural color and the stray grays eventually have me cave in and i do a root touch up I started getting white hairs at age 26. Smiley Sad I am 45 now

Trusted Contributor
It's takes awhile to get rid of tinted hair. Frequent cuts help. Good luck. :-)
Respected Contributor
On 3/30/2015 kcladyz said:

Anyone know a good way to go natural and not cave and dye again? I want to grow out my natural color and the stray grays eventually have me cave in and i do a root touch up I started getting white hairs at age 26. Smiley Sad I am 45 now

In my opinion, let your hair grow out and let the grey strands be. No one will think they look bad. And if they do, then don't pay attention to them.

They say that grey hair is a sign of wisdom. You can always tell people that you're wise beyond your years and that's why your grey hair came so early.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Honored Contributor

I swim regularly and have found that if I generously apply conditioner (buy a large size inexpensive brand) then put on a competitive swim cap. I rinse the conditioner out and shampoo as usual after swimming. The conditioner acts as a buffer and has greatly helped reduce any damage from the chorine.

Honored Contributor

I did over 6 years ago and never look back. My gray is salt & pepper but more salt definitely and I love it. I receive many compliments from the hair stylists on the color of my hair. I use Shakai Platinum shampoo for blondes & gray hair to remove the yellow. I was using Aveda's blue malva shampoo but I decided to try the Shakai and like it more and it's under $10 plus Shakai has the blue malva in it but is more conditioning than Aveda. Good luck to you. I had my hair cut short and in no time all the brown color was gone.

kindness is strength
Frequent Contributor

Dianne, I can honestly say, it was tough growing out the color, but I kept it short, and I can tell you I'm not one to say "never." But I will say, I will NEVER again color my hair. I've not only come to peace with my grey, but I've come to love it! I get so many compliments on my salt and pepper - men love it, women love it and I love it. Good luck with whatever you decide - but with that said, if you don't try it, you'll never know! LuLu

Trusted Contributor

I was just talking with a woman I often see swimming at my community pool. She has the most beautiful silver-white hair in a stylish, youthful short cut and looks fantastic. She talked about the untidy process of letting her natural silver grow out after coloring for years and how "worth it" the trouble was. She says she loves her natural color and finds her hair is thicker and in much better condition now. I know other women who look great with natural silver/white hair, also. Wonder if I can ever get up the nerve?

Esteemed Contributor

Like anything it is a personal thing. I am very happy I let mine go. I had died my hair from a young age... a sort of hobby. Loved to change my hair color. However my hair became resistant and the color would not take. I went to a professional who took over the task. I was happy for awhile and then I came down with vertigo. No more going backwards in a sink and I just stopped. To my surprise my hair grew out silver and shiny and with natural curl. For me my hair is perfect. My vertigo is gone but I am not going back to the hair color regiment. And I really don't look old. At least those who compliment me always remark just the opposite.