Trusted Contributor

Let's start a new group: Drugstore Beauty Lovers

On another thread entitled "what did you use up this week?" I commented that I am interested in focusing on moving away from high-end cosmetics and beauty products because I read financial planning articles that it is wise to start budgeting and downsizing your budget as you are getting ready to retire.  My husband and I are on track to retire in three to five years, depending on how long he wants to stay in his high-stress job.  

I am a high-end beauty snob. I always equated the price of a  beauty product with its quality and efficaciousness; however,  I have been reading many beauty blogs and articles on drugstore beauty including the quality, efficaciousness, performance, and how they feel compared to high-end beauty brands. There is so much information out there! I have found dozens of Dupes (duplicates) of many high-end beauty products out there at a fraction of the cost. I have discovered youtube as a resource as well and it has been invaluable.

I received several likes on this topic. Several women here feel the same way. So, I propose we start a monthly thread about drugstore beauty and how we are going to make the switch. I would like to name the thread something fun. If this appeals to you please comment below on what we can call this monthly thread. I am not creative so I am hoping that one of you will provide the best name. All I can think of is Drugstore Divas or Drugstore Beauty News.

Respected Contributor

Re: Let's start a new group: Drugstore Beauty Lovers

@Squirrel Lover   I am interested and think Drugstore Diva is a cute name. I will also contribute my drugstore find, E.L.F. cosmetics. They are highly pigmented and Very low in cost. They run specials online for free shipping with a $25 purchase but it is hard to get to $25.

Trusted Contributor

I like the idea for the group!  How about Drugstore Devotees?  What ever you name it, I'll be checking in.  I have always tried to find drugstore dups for my makeup. Some things, like primer, I do go more expensive on but that's because I like a particular brand.  I'm all for saving money.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover 

I like your names!  I know I should be buying less spendy beauty products but there IS a difference.  Just no doubt in my mind.  But, I will most definitely be reading the posts Smiley Happy  Would love to find a dupe for Tatcha Rice Wash and her Rice Polish.  A drugstore dupe for snail snot.  A drugstore dupe for all things Glow Recipe.  Setting sprays and foundation...maybe.  Blush, most likely.  I buy my lashes from WM.  Highlighter, probably.  Lipgloss...I can't.  I can't give up my Too Faced Rich and Dazzling glosses.  Interesting concept!  I'm in Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab 

What brand of primer do you use?  I've been using Hourglass but have decided to find something less expensive when I run out of my current bottle.

Esteemed Contributor

@Squirrel Lover, I think this is a great idea!  Even if there is no good dupe for a certain more exotic item, there are likely many drugstore items of high quality that are reasonably priced.

Sometimes it’s a matter of having to save money, and sometimes it’s a matter of wanting to make the most of the money you have.  

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like a great idea! I'll try to help with ideas for a name, but I'm not very creative either. The first thing that came to mind was Low End Beauty Lovers, but low end sounds almost like not nice. I honestly don't remember the last time I bought a beauty product in a drugstore. I usually buy from Walmart, Target, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, Dollar General... Friday I bought a Lacura foamng cleanser in Aldi. If the name does end up with Drugstore in it, that's fine with me. I think we all know what it includes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

On another thread entitled "what did you use up this week?" I commented that I am interested in focusing on moving away from high-end cosmetics and beauty products because I read financial planning articles that it is wise to start budgeting and downsizing your budget as you are getting ready to retire.  My husband and I are on track to retire in three to five years, depending on how long he wants to stay in his high-stress job.  

I am a high-end beauty snob. I always equated the price of a  beauty product with its quality and efficaciousness; however,  I have been reading many beauty blogs and articles on drugstore beauty including the quality, efficaciousness, performance, and how they feel compared to high-end beauty brands. There is so much information out there! I have found dozens of Dupes (duplicates) of many high-end beauty products out there at a fraction of the cost. I have discovered youtube as a resource as well and it has been invaluable.

I received several likes on this topic. Several women here feel the same way. So, I propose we start a monthly thread about drugstore beauty and how we are going to make the switch. I would like to name the thread something fun. If this appeals to you please comment below on what we can call this monthly thread. I am not creative so I am hoping that one of you will provide the best name. All I can think of is Drugstore Divas or Drugstore Beauty News.

@Squirrel Lover I am in the same boat.  Income will be reduced upon DH’s retirement.  I have so much “stuff” that I’ve cancelled or pushed AD’s way out. I’ve set my intentions to shop my stash until I use up what I already have and only repurchase specific staples as needed.  I’m experimenting with a simple, basic routine with lower priced yet effective topicals.  Maybe not technically drugstore bought yetdrugstore type prices and ordered from amazon.  Count me in! 👍

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Snail snot Woman Surprised?

No thought is worth thinking.....
Honored Contributor

How about DrugStore Dope....😉