Trusted Contributor

Re: Let's start a new group: Drugstore Beauty Lovers

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover  I'm in. I like the name Drugstore Divas  too.  As  it is now, too many of the great tips and talk about drugstore finds, dupes, sales, etc. are missed because they're scattered all around in so many different threads..  I've never been one to spend $150 for a serum or $50 for a lipstick . Thank you for your great idea, looking forward to it.

Trusted Contributor

@monicakm  Right now, I have way too many.  It cosmetics, Hourglass, Laura Geller (2) and Smashbox Photo Finish, which is becoming my new favorite. I used it many years ago and I don't know why I stopped but am using it again. Once these are all used up I will stick with just 2 primers. 

Trusted Contributor

Name: Box Store Beauty Finds

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover I love this idea!  Definitely will be checking in on this thread.  For a name, I like either Drugstore Beauty News  or Drugstore Beauty Finds - easy to remember as it says exactly what the thread will be about.

I have a lot of beauty items in my stash.  As they are used up, I would definitely like to switch to a more affordable choice.  Retirement for me, hopefully, will come in about a year so understand your wanting to pare down the budget.

This should be fun!

Respected Contributor

This is something that I would be interested in following too! I used to buy from QVC years ago when there were reasonably priced kits from Bare Minerals, Philosophy, etc. but I haven't bought any of those items in ages, partly because the products have been sold out and changed, and partly because the prices have gotten so high!

I definitely use all drugstore type products, even when I order from Ulta or Vitacost it's the drugstore priced brands that I use, like Derma E, Avalon Organics, Pacifica, etc. I don't buy any department store items, so I'm in!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like "Drugstore Divas" !   This continuing thread is a great idea.  Thank you.  Nice to see this much interest in drugstore brands!

I started my teenage years as a Woolworth roamer - most of my cash was spent on 25-cent Cutex lipsticks and 50-cent Maybelline mascara in the tiny red box (just to name a few).  Later switched to high-end department store because my mother said it was better.  Later, I tried every brand that QVC and HSN sold. 

I think that one reason I went back to drugstore brands is because I'm more comfortable searching the aisles of CVS and Walmart than I am in a snooty department store cosmetics department.  I never liked receiving cosmetics thru mail order, such as QVC.  I want to buy a product and take it home with me that day, no shipping charges.

Some of my favorites:  Gold Bond Neck & Chest, Revlon Lustrous Lipsticks, Neutrogena cleansers, L'oreal mascaras and lash primer.   Great stuff!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I sure like all your drugstore suggestions; however, I have never found those items (too much) in the skincare department that equaled, say, department store items.

Makeup, no problem, since this is not on my high priority list. But even there, the quality is not the same.

In any event, Drugstore Divas has my vote.

Contributor

Avon has a rice wash its great 11.00 for big tube love it on my combo skin

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

On another thread entitled "what did you use up this week?" I commented that I am interested in focusing on moving away from high-end cosmetics and beauty products because I read financial planning articles that it is wise to start budgeting and downsizing your budget as you are getting ready to retire.  My husband and I are on track to retire in three to five years, depending on how long he wants to stay in his high-stress job.  

I am a high-end beauty snob. I always equated the price of a  beauty product with its quality and efficaciousness; however,  I have been reading many beauty blogs and articles on drugstore beauty including the quality, efficaciousness, performance, and how they feel compared to high-end beauty brands. There is so much information out there! I have found dozens of Dupes (duplicates) of many high-end beauty products out there at a fraction of the cost. I have discovered youtube as a resource as well and it has been invaluable.

I received several likes on this topic. Several women here feel the same way. So, I propose we start a monthly thread about drugstore beauty and how we are going to make the switch. I would like to name the thread something fun. If this appeals to you please comment below on what we can call this monthly thread. I am not creative so I am hoping that one of you will provide the best name. All I can think of is Drugstore Divas or Drugstore Beauty News.

@Squirrel Lover   We're at the same stage as you are...planning to retire when DH finally decides to turn over his practice and I can downsize or discontinue my client appointments at any time. 

We have both discussed bugeting and non-negotiable expenses. Good skincare for me, which IS sometimes expensive, is a non-negotiable for me. Since I can purchase some at wholesale prices, that's not a big concern.

I DO have a minimal makeup routine that does include a few  drugstore products and others are department store brands, but I'm not sure having a separate "group" will be found here. Most of us frequently post great drugstore finds for makeup, skincare, hair styling here anyway. 

If others think this is a great idea, it may be better recived as a sub-forum under "Favorite Brands". I'm not sure how to get approval to begin that.

***There are so many beauty posts, how will we go back to find Drugstore Divas or whatever the name turns out to be. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Squirrel Lover  IMO it's a great idea!  Your thread would belong right here in Beauty, obviously.

TFW someone who starts multiple new threads each day complains about 1 potential ongoing thread. Smiley LOL