Trusted Contributor

Re: Let's Play a Game. Show Me Your Roots

@Tricolor wrote:

I am 70 and thought for sure that I would see lots of gray poking through my highlighted hair. To my surprise it is just drab brown. That shocked the heck out of me!

Woman Very HappyCat LOLMan LOLSmiley LOL

Lucky you!

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Trusted Contributor

@Tricolor : My hair is a very dark brown. I've been having it very gradually lightened and highlighted because at 75 that very dark just feels unnatural.

My hairdresser has said what she sees is white, thank goodness. Decided this time is a good opportunity to see how much and how the white is coming in.

Very surprised to see that I have no skunk stripe and actually not that much white, but I swear my natural color is looking really black.

White hair is nowhere near the amount I expected.

When I can start going back to hairdresser I'll probably hold off having her color it.

Honored Contributor

So, yesterday was the day.  They're opening salons and gyms this week, so I decided it's time to color my roots.  I won't be going to either this week, but I do have a dentist appointment on Wednesday.  

Here's my Before pic.

Before.jpg

Step 1. Sectioning the hair.  I don't do it properly.  It's supposed to be parted down the middle all the way front to back, but that just doesn't work for me.  Apparently, I can't take a pic of the top of my head without scrunching up my face showing off all my forehead wrinkles.

Clipped Hair.jpg

Step 2.  Laying out all the supplies on my tiny vanity.  Well, not all of the supplies.  The developers are in rather large bottles so they are on the floor.  

Color Prep.jpg

Continued in next post.

Honored Contributor

Step 3. Apply Color.  Usually, I'll put some of the developer on a toothbrush and put that directly onto the grays at my temple and in my part line to kinda pre-soften.  Some say it works, some not.  After I do the roots I set up another batch but don't mix it up until ready to apply.  Since I color red it's not enough to just comb my color through, so I mix up a separte batch with only 10 vol. developer and without the NN in my formulation since I don't need to cover greys. I could also just use a demi-permanent to do this, but at the time the place I get my color didn't have all my colors in that type so I chose to just get the lower vol developer.  The instructions for my brand of color indicated either one could be used on previously colored hair.

After color is applied to the length I only wait 5 to 10 minutes before washing it out.

During.jpg

And now, the finished product.

After.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  - I'm enjoying this thread.  Nice of you to share the process.   The end result suits you so well you'll never need to get it done in a salon!   Color looks great with your complexion and eye color.

(I'm supposed to go to the dentist this week also, but I've got a conflict with a zoom meeting so I'll put off going for now).

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Fabulous job.  I do not know that I've seen a more beautiful red head of hair. I've read you perm your hair.  You would never know.  Your curl look so natural.

Then there's those eyes.Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@Icegoddess, wow, you did a fabulous job! Want to be my hair colorist????👍👍
Honored Contributor

@hooked on books wrote:
@Icegoddess, wow, you did a fabulous job! Want to be my hair colorist????👍👍

@hooked on books Thanks.  I have been doing mine for over 20 years now and have been through many different shades to get to this color.  I would never do someone else's hair though out of fear of not getting it right.  I'm the same way with sewing.  It's okay if I mess up my own stuff.