Trusted Contributor

Re: Let me tell you a secret

I believe this theory to be true and here's why.  For 21 years I was on the road as a full time outside sales rep in Florida.  My skin is worse on the left side of my face including crows feet, forehead wrinkles and the nose to mouth line. Definitely a difference, but I also knew what made the difference before this was even posted.

Highlighted
Contributor

I heard one of the vendors ( can't remember who) tell Mary Beth that she could tell which side she selp on, by looking at her face.  Sure enough she got it correct.

Honored Contributor

@Oueen of everythinh nice wrote:

I heard one of the vendors ( can't remember who) tell Mary Beth that she could tell which side she selp on, by looking at her face.  Sure enough she got it correct.

@Oueen of everythinh nice   When I begin a client’s makeup, I can tell as well. The side slept on most frequently has a lower brow, more lines underneath. That side of the mouth is even more wrinkled. To experiment, find a clear glass plate and hold it up to a mirror. Press your face against it and see how smushed it gets. That’s not even 1/2 the damage of lying on your side...your head weighs about as much as a bowling ball...a lot of weight pressing against a pillow every night.

Respected Contributor

Same on both sides! 

Honored Contributor

What if the models are mostly passengers in a car or ride a bus?  What if they always drive a convertible?  LOL

I know the skincare demos are deceitful in far worse ways than always showing one side of the face.  

Respected Contributor

How is this a "secret"?  Anyone who has seen a dermatologist has heard them tell you to make sure and use plenty of sunscreen on your face, taking special care on the left side due to more sun exposure.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Oueen of everythinh nice wrote:

@Oueen of everythinh nice   When I begin a client’s makeup, I can tell as well. The side slept on most frequently has a lower brow, more lines underneath. That side of the mouth is even more wrinkled. To experiment, find a clear glass plate and hold it up to a mirror. Press your face against it and see how smushed it gets. That’s not even 1/2 the damage of lying on your side...your head weighs about as much as a bowling ball...a lot of weight pressing against a pillow every night.

wish someone told me when i was younger.  does this affect hairloss?

Honored Contributor

Lately I've had the opposite experience.  I sleep exclusively on my left side since DH got the &^%$# CPAP.  The right side of my face is more wrinkled since I started this.  My theory is the fat cells have been influenced by gravity and are settling in my left cheek area.  No, this is not a joke.

Honored Contributor

I think the secret the OP is referring to is that the vendor applies product or makeup on the model's "good," less damaged side -- and attributes the look to the product or makeup, not the relative lack of damage. It makes sense.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I trade my car in every 3 yrs...I always request they tint the windows. I believe that certainly helps. I also use sunblock. I do sleep mostly on my left side. Honestly, I don't see my left side looking worse, and I'm very fair skinned. Maybe really just depends on the individual??