Honored Contributor

I used to scoff at claims that we eat several pounds of lipstick during our life.  So I started putting it on before bed as an experiment.  Sure enough, every morning my lips were bare.  Go figure. 

Regular Contributor

This is from imabeautygeek.com

• A lipstick bullet (the actual lipstick part of the lipstick) weighs anywhere from 2.5 to 4.3 grams.  So let's use an average weight of 3.4 grams.
  • 28.35 grams in an ounce means 8.34 lipsticks to an ounce.
  • 16 ounces in a pound means 133.44 lipsticks to a pound.
  • Four pounds of lipstick translates to 533.76 lipsticks.
Frequent Contributor

I'm literally coming back from the dead due to heavy metal toxicity and Lyme coinfections.  I have high levels of lead.....who knows the origins.....municipal water, cosmetics, skin care products, etc. 

I have switched my lip products to 100% Pure.  And most of my makeup. Definately my body care, eye care, and hand care.

Honored Contributor

IMO this is much ado about essentially nothing.  Yes, there's a small/trace amount lead in a lipstick but it's distributed throughout the entire bullet or tube so the amount you're getting in an application is pretty minute and the body can handle it.  Unless someone has a strange addiction, no one is going around regularly chomping on lipstick bullets.  According to the article I read on Beautiful With Brains, it's not possible to completely remove lead because it naturally occurs in some of the ingredients (water, soil, etc.) but companies aren't intentionally adding it.  

Beautiful With Brains - What's the Truth About Lead in Lipsticks

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

Hummm, interesting that its only certain colors.  Wonder why?

@Imaoldhippie- Because the concentration of the dye is increased in darker colors so there would be a little more lead than in the nude colors.  Still, they are FDA approved and have to be proven not to exceed the safe limits.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

IMO this is much ado about essentially nothing.  Yes, there's a small/trace amount lead in a lipstick but it's distributed throughout the entire bullet or tube so the amount you're getting in an application is pretty minute and the body can handle it.  Unless someone has a strange addiction, no one is going around regularly chomping on lipstick bullets.  According to the article I read on Beautiful With Brains, it's not possible to completely remove lead because it naturally occurs in some of the ingredients (water, soil, etc.) but companies aren't intentionally adding it.  

Beautiful With Brains - What's the Truth About Lead in Lipsticks

Excellent post, @JeanLouiseFinch. With topics like this one, we need to remain rational.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I first heard about lead in lipstick over a month ago but it was in little girl's lipstick.  Nice, huh?  Cat Mad

kindness is strength