Valued Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@PinkSunset wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

The mean girls on this forum just can't pass up an opportunity to be judgmental about a lovely woman who happens to have gotten older and, gasp!, have a few wrinkles.  

@tototwo   If I'm included in "mean Girls" because of my observation about her neck, it was in response to everyone saying she had no work done. I've always been a proponent of aging gracefully with or without wrinkles. FYI, I've said here, even having a full facelift does not erase wrinkled, lined skin. It only lifts and tightens the skin. The wrinkles remain. 

I always discuss here good skincare and SPF to help prevent those lines as long as possible. Ms. Hutton spent a lot of time in Africa, etc. and most likely without sunscreen. In her defense, much was not known about the dangers of the sun on the skin. 

Who told you that? It absolutely does help remove wrinkles and creases, When your excess skin is cut off and the remaining skin is pulled up, that flattens out the wrinkles and creases. No one would have a full facelift if they had a face full of wrinkles on tut skin, I use my hands to "pull up" my face all the time to see how i'd look with a facelift and not a single wrinkle remains,

from healthline

"As we get older, skin and tissues naturally lose their elasticity. This leads to sagging and wrinkles. A facelift, also known as rhytidectomy, is a surgical procedure that lifts and tightens these facial tissues.

A facelift can involve removing excess skin, smoothing out folds or wrinkles, and tightening facial tissue. It doesn’t include a brow or eye lift, although these might be done at the same time.

A facelift is only focused on the bottom two-thirds of the face and often the neck. People get facelifts for a lot of different reasons. A common reason is to help disguise signs of aging."

@PinkSunset  My plastic surgeon explained the procedure to me. Never thinking of having it, but he's become a close friend after doing my reconstruction after having a double mastectomy 20 years ago. Deep wrinkles, line, pitted skin and any hyperpigmentation is not erased with a facelift. When you pull your skin back with w/ your hands to eliminate those wrinkles, a good surgeon would NEVER pull the face that tight...resulting in that unnatural "wind tunnel look". With a lift/tuck done by a reputable surgeon, if skin is deeply wrinkled, they'll be there afterwards as well. He explains that to all patients so they're not disappointed in the outcome. In fact, any patients getting Botox or fillers who ask about a facelift later on are told about aggressive skincare to insure better results after surgery. BTW, after a facelift, the skin continues to age. He expects a lift to last only 10-15 years. At $20,000-$30,000, no thanks. Botox and fillers will still be needed for "elevens" and crows feet, etc. and fillers injected for deeper nasolabial folds. Peels, laser treatments would be continued for rosacea, acne scarring, deep pores and other skin issues. His take is the facelift does only take away jowls, and tighten some of the sagging in the neck area. It does nothing for the upper face. That's an "add on". More money and surgery for  eyes (upper and lower lids) and a separate brow lift to reposition them. 

I'm not interested in that extensive, serious  surgery with months of down time and expense. I've seen his work and the women look "rested" after healing, but certainly no more than 5-8 years younger that does not warrant the ordeal to me. 

The aging process is what it is...aging. I do the best non-invasive procedures for my skin and accept the results. There're nothing wrong with getting older and showing a few wrinkles. I'm not a celebrity followed by the press who has the responsibility of looking perfect for my fans. 

I will shamefully admit to looking about 10 years younger than 71, but I deserve those bragging rights. Forty years out of the sun, extensive skincare morning and night with proven products. I'll try to re-post my photo of my brow (including eye) after first grooming recently...no significant lines. Photo is less than 2 yrs. old since I keep track when I my hair went silver. 

thank you for your response, I actually worked for plastic surgeons at my hospital so I do know all about lifts. Have seen many good ones done and some not so good. I know it only last maybe 15 years but at my age that would be it anyway as I would be almost 85 at that point. And around here the facelit is about 10k or so, but they often recommend a browlift, upper and lower eyes, as well as the actual facelift, my quote for all of that was $19k including anesthesia and of course hospital time. I;m not going to do it but I certainly would go for the facelift alone and get rid of those jowls and loose skin, And to your point, of course the skin continues to age. It's the largest organ of the integumentary system and simply cutting off excess during the procedure doesn't mean the skin itself doesn't ever age.

I, too, think most of how we look when we age comes from genetics first and foremost and then of course staying out of the sun and good skincare. We can't change our genes, 

Respected Contributor

When I was fifty I was given Retina micro full strength for a forehead of white heads (can't remember the medical name) following a reaction to a lunchtime peel.

The derm I went to (not the one who did the peel) said it was the only thing that worked. He also told me that the micro formula was the only one I could tolerate. He said he didn't use Renova because some patients responded to the added moisturizer.

It was like a miracle. Healed some acne scars. I never had good skin. Plaqued by breakouts even in my fifties. I didn't use moisturizer until I turned sixty. My skin was so oily I used to say I could solve all the problems in the Middle East.

Also, I avoided the sun because I'd get painful burns. I was in the first sunblock research study in 1965. The researcher had trouble finding people who didn't want a tan.

I kept using the Retina micro but now I use it at a much lower strength. I'm seventy five and I do have jowls but very few wrinkles. I have serious medical problems and am on a lot of meds but I don't look sick. I didn't use the Retina for a year and stopped getting compliments. I'm back on it. One of my dx is Sjogren's syndrome which does affect the skin and hair.

My derm told me sunscreen and Retina are the best beauty products. I do use a good moisturizer at night and in the winter do not use cleanser in the a.m. Derm told me that. I also sleep on a satin pillowcase and sleep with my body elevated for a medical problem.

I drink a liter of fluid a day but my derm doesn't think that helps. I drink it because of one of my medical problems.

Respected Contributor
@Judaline and before she had that piece (she called it a dental "mold"), she used wax.

She'd been a print model predominately in the '60s and 70s, way before photoshopping became available in the late '80s. By that time, though past her career peak, she apparently didn't care about that gap, anymore.

She was attractive when young, but I wouldn't call her "beautiful" now. IMO there's a hard look about her. The woman's 76, though, and I think she looks good for her age.

What worries you masters you.