Contributor

Re: Laura Geller vs Bare Minerals for sensitive skin

I wear the fair in BE (original loose) and found the LG in porcelain to be too white and powdery looking on my skin, but that really depends on the main colors you get in your individual compact. I felt mine ran light and would have liked a bit more beige in it, but it had the perfect amount of pink. I liked how it applied and I don't mind adding a bit of bronzer or something to warm it up a touch and it covered my redness well, however by the afternoon I could definitely feel the BnB on my face. I have dry skin so it isn't like it's oil coming through and this is the only product I have used that does this, but it just felt thick and yucky by 6-8 hours later. I never feel BE on my skin like that, even if I add more, touch up or use mineral veil. It totally made me feel EWWW and I just wanted to wash it off halfway through my day. That was the deal breaker for me, and yes I did give it a fair shot (more than 3 months).

I think you should give it a try and see for yourself how it does. At least with Q's return policy you know you aren't stuck with it if it doesn't work for you.

Frequent Contributor

I have used both BE and Laura Geller. I find that the LG can give more coverage, depending on the kind of brush you use. It tends to puddle less in the small wrinkles or creases and BE is bad about that. Also, BE has the ingredient Bismuth in it that makes my skin sting and burn if I get hot and start sweating. Overall, I prefer LG.

Valued Contributor

Try Baked Elements by Laura Geller instead of Balance and Brighten-- I used to use B&B exclusively but it's not always the same ""mix""--- I used BE when I was younger but now it shows creases and I also found it did bother me ( they won't let me write {itcsh} (remove the ""s"" and you'll get the word) in the summer---- I don't even know (and neither does anyone else) that I'm wearing it and I have mild rosacea - it covers well and doesn't settle in creases or irritate me. I wish she'd have more TSV's with the Baked Elements.

Valued Contributor

Thanks. I now have the porcelain TSV in my cart, my only worry now before I purchase, is whether anyone has experienced acne breakouts from it, but from your comments it does not seem that is the case. Also as Kalicat, with BE I have sometimes experienced a slight burning sensation after applying it. Thankfully, it has been when I don't wear my zinc CC under it and only for a couple of minutes. I guess my skin was more sensitive in those days, but it did not make me break out.. I really want to find a line that is gentle enough for my skin, is paraben free, does not break me out and is cruelty free.
Formally NewtoWen
Respected Contributor

On 4/9/2015 dgluvr said:

Try Baked Elements by Laura Geller instead of Balance and Brighten-- I used to use B&B exclusively but it's not always the same "mix"--- I used BE when I was younger but now it shows creases and I also found it did bother me ( they won't let me write {itcsh} (remove the "s" and you'll get the word) in the summer---- I don't even know (and neither does anyone else) that I'm wearing it and I have mild rosacea - it covers well and doesn't settle in creases or irritate me. I wish she'd have more TSV's with the Baked Elements.

I switched to Baked Elements because the color is consistent. I'm light in Bareminerals and I use porcelain in the baked elements. BnB is too inconsistent with color. Because of the marbleized color, sometimes you get more pinks, yellows, browns, etc. I had to buy both porcelain and fair in BnB and try to concoct my own mix on my face to get the right color. I got tired of that and I've been pretty happy with the Baked Elements.
Valued Contributor

On 4/9/2015 RachB said:
On 4/9/2015 dgluvr said:

Try Baked Elements by Laura Geller instead of Balance and Brighten-- I used to use B&B exclusively but it's not always the same "mix"--- I used BE when I was younger but now it shows creases and I also found it did bother me ( they won't let me write {itcsh} (remove the "s" and you'll get the word) in the summer---- I don't even know (and neither does anyone else) that I'm wearing it and I have mild rosacea - it covers well and doesn't settle in creases or irritate me. I wish she'd have more TSV's with the Baked Elements.

I switched to Baked Elements because the color is consistent. I'm light in Bareminerals and I use porcelain in the baked elements. BnB is too inconsistent with color. Because of the marbleized color, sometimes you get more pinks, yellows, browns, etc. I had to buy both porcelain and fair in BnB and try to concoct my own mix on my face to get the right color. I got tired of that and I've been pretty happy with the Baked Elements.
After reading your comments. I'm still debating now it I should submit my order. I keep seeing mixed reviews. My main concern is skin sensitivity, but I would not like it if the color is too yellow.
Formally NewtoWen
Valued Contributor

On 4/9/2015 Newtowen said:
On 4/9/2015 RachB said:
On 4/9/2015 dgluvr said:

After reading your comments. I'm still debating now it I should submit my order. I keep seeing mixed reviews. My main concern is skin sensitivity, but I would not like it if the color is too yellow.

I know that that TSV seems tempting (and it always is a great deal) but do a comparison of pictures of the products to see what I and others are telling you--- (they carry both on QVC, also on her site, and at some Ulta stores)- Even just a picture will show you the difference- the B&B has swirls of mixed colors (which as said before - do vary from time to next time you order) whereas the newer baked ELEMENTS is one color. Then choose- If it's the TSV for today (April 9.2015) -- that you're debating on- you have time to check the other..

Frequent Contributor

I have never had a problem with sensitivity with the LG Baked & Brighten. I am Irish, redheaded, blue eyes, fair skin that reacts to almost everything. This is my go-to makeup. It is quick, easy, looks like you're not wearing anything so you look natural only better, don't feel it on my face, stays on most all day (I hardly every touch it up). I am older and have decided that the BE is just not good for me. I can't stand the stinging when the weather turns hot. It goes into creases, etc. I wouldn't worry about having a reaction to the LG powder makeup. I don't care for her primer or hardly any primers because they are mostly cones that make my face break out. By the way, I ordered the TSV. HTH

Esteemed Contributor

I have used both and fall into the very sensitve skin category and BE made my skin worse.

LG is so much easier to use , more of a natural look and has never caused a problem for my skin.

Valued Contributor

Thank you kalicat and hopi. I have been wanting to try something gentler than BE. Like you said, sometimes I notice a sting on my face after applying it. I don't really notice it if I use it over my cc. However, since I'm almost out of it I thought this would be a good opportunity to change lines. Thanks again.
Formally NewtoWen