Esteemed Contributor

Laura Geller eye palette set

I was seriously thinking about buying the new Laura Geller - 5 pack eye palette set after watching the presentation the other night. But when looking closer, I see a lot of the shadows are shimmery. Hm.....at 60+, shimmers can be too much. I'm still on the fence. Has anyone else seen these? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Laura Geller eye palette set

@Effie54 wrote:

I was seriously thinking about buying the new Laura Geller - 5 pack eye palette set after watching the presentation the other night. But when looking closer, I see a lot of the shadows are shimmery. Hm.....at 60+, shimmers can be too much. I'm still on the fence. Has anyone else seen these? 

@Effie54   There's a big difference between shimmer and sparkle. As long as there are some good, neutral mattes for a crease color, a matte lighter tone as an all over color and maybe a dark shade to use as liner or set a pencil liner, I'm good. The issue is seeing these or any palettes up close enough online or on screen. 

Respected Contributor

I can't speak to this set but the LG eyeshadows I purchased a while back had no staying power. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't own these and didn't see them presented but on a quick glance, I think they look very pretty and there seems to be a good combination of mattes and shimmers.

I always use a matte in my crease and often on the outer corner but I love to put a light shimmer shade on my center eyelid.  It brightens up my eyes.  All matte shadows on my eyes just looks dull to me.

A couple of years ago I ordered the LG 31 days of eyeshadow box and I really like the majority of shadows in the box.  I was using it exclusively until I recently switched to an IT Girl palette just to change things up.  The shadows are good quality, I had no fall-out issue and they lasted on my eyes 10+ hours.  I have no idea if this pallette set is the same quality or not. 

Trusted Contributor

I just recieved these yesterday as I was hoping to make them part of holiday gifts for my niece and two girlfriends.  I've been swatching all morning! 

The only shade that's a throw away is the very sparkly 'pop color' on the bottom row next to the highlight and 'blush'. That thing landed all over my face from a small finger swatch on the eyelid.

The shimmer shadows look much more shimmery in the pan than on the face (or back of the hand), so you get a wash of a brightening color. I've never known Laura Geller shadows to be heavily pigented anyway. Some of the so called blush shades are more of a bronzer shade (at least for me and my intended gift recipents), but are still very nice shades.  

Overall, if you're looking for a nice wash of color, these will be good. If you're looking for a Pat McGrath or Natasha Denona heavy pigmented shadow, (or even Chanel or Bobbi Brown)  these are not what you're looking for.  

Interestingly, the most nude color story of the bunch is the one called 'black tie gala'.  Just my opinion, but I'd want much more glam for a fancy affair!  

I think they're worth the $6 per palette.  I might keep these and use them for travel (and pick up another set to gift) - pick one color story to work with the clothes in the suitcase, add foundation, concealer, mascara and a couple lipsticks and you're done. 

Oh, and I just turned 64!  

Honored Contributor

Are these palettes made in China, I remember the ones from last year were. 

Honored Contributor

I have fallen out of love with Laura's makeup line. I have more makeup than I could ever use, and right now I'm not wearing any.

Honored Contributor

Years ago Laura taught me there was a difference between sparkly and shimmer/sheen. I got burned after Bobbi Brown brought out her summer palette - after she first sold her company. The colors were beautiful, and the mua convinced me the "beachy" colors were perfect for me. When I actually took them on vacation with me no matter what color I used it looked frosty silver. No kidding- they looked exactly alike, and they were all I had with me. 

I don't have this new eyeshadow set, but I do have her Weekly Wonders set. Each palette is named after Thursday- Monday. I don't like the color payoff as much as I like her Baked ones - the Baked ones that look shimmery do give a nice sheen, but some of the "shimmery" shadows in the Weekly Wonders set (sometimes there is one; sometimes there are three) aren't too bad. 

I don't think LG shadows will ever be the same because Laura is no longer involved in product development. 

Valued Contributor

Years ago, I tried quite a few Laura Geller items.  The eye makeup never really worked for me.  It was too shimmery and didn’t blend well.  It may have been reformulated by now though.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sammijo10 wrote:

I just recieved these yesterday as I was hoping to make them part of holiday gifts for my niece and two girlfriends.  I've been swatching all morning! 

The only shade that's a throw away is the very sparkly 'pop color' on the bottom row next to the highlight and 'blush'. That thing landed all over my face from a small finger swatch on the eyelid.

The shimmer shadows look much more shimmery in the pan than on the face (or back of the hand), so you get a wash of a brightening color. I've never known Laura Geller shadows to be heavily pigented anyway. Some of the so called blush shades are more of a bronzer shade (at least for me and my intended gift recipents), but are still very nice shades.  

Overall, if you're looking for a nice wash of color, these will be good. If you're looking for a Pat McGrath or Natasha Denona heavy pigmented shadow, (or even Chanel or Bobbi Brown)  these are not what you're looking for.  

Interestingly, the most nude color story of the bunch is the one called 'black tie gala'.  Just my opinion, but I'd want much more glam for a fancy affair!  

I think they're worth the $6 per palette.  I might keep these and use them for travel (and pick up another set to gift) - pick one color story to work with the clothes in the suitcase, add foundation, concealer, mascara and a couple lipsticks and you're done. 

Oh, and I just turned 64!  

Thank you so much for your feedback. I actually do look for more of a heavily pigmented eyeshadow. Otherwise, I get lots of fallout and have to keep putting on coat after coat, and then it creases (even with eye spackle).