Esteemed Contributor

Re: Laura Geller Not Scheduled for 2019

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
It’s called “restructuring a company!” Lots of companies do this. If I’m not mistaken Mally did this.

Mally wasn't on QVC for I think about 6 months at least though while her company was going through bankruptcy proceedings and there wasn't any inventory on QVC's website either.

She had/has to work hard to rebuild the brand which she no longer owns.

Honored Contributor

It's only a cosmetics line, there are many more out there to choose from. I like the new ones the Q brought in like Urban Decay. Doll 10 has been with the Q for awhile, this latest foundation and concealer she has formulated is the best I've tried in years and I try everything.

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

According to the Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Filing which includes Laura Geller Beauty LLC, Laura Geller Brands LLC and Laura Geller Holdings LLC, QVC is owed a total of  $284,747.35 in unpaid royalties.  Come on Laura, pay up!

@Johnnyeager

Evidently you didn't read the earlier posts in this thread.  Laura Geller doesn't own her company - hasn't owned it for a while now.  So if anyone has to "pay up," it definitely isn't Laura.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Humor, my dear, humor.  In very short supply in this sad, sad desert.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

It's QVC that played a large part in the financial downfall of this company.

QVC would repeatdedly over estimate demand for various Geller kits and TSVs (no surprise there) and place the order, leaving the vendor with the excess unsold Geller inventory. 

That excess was then warehoused at a cost, manually opened and repackaged for sale to other clients.  Meanwhile, the company had to pay the manufacturers of the products (like the Italian and Chinese cosmetic companies).

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

It's QVC that played a large part in the financial downfall of this company.

QVC would repeatdedly over estimate demand for various Geller kits and TSVs (no surprise there) and place the order, leaving the vendor with the excess unsold Geller inventory. 

That excess was then warehoused at a cost, manually opened and repackaged for sale to other clients.  Meanwhile, the company had to pay the manufacturers of the products (like the Italian and Chinese cosmetic companies).

@Johnnyeager Very interesting.  How do you know these specifics of their (Laura Geller and QVC) businesses?  Makes a lot of sense, but is this a guess or fact?

Esteemed Contributor

This is all in the bankruptcy court public filings.

When the Chapter 11 petition is filed, it is accompanied by a lengthy narrative written by a company executive, detailing the events which led up to the filing.

I went through it yesterday and it's very interesting indeed.

Honored Contributor

This may sound odd but so far, it's proven true for me:

Mally and Laura Geller are both sold at my local Ulta; so is IT Cosmetics, Stila and many other brands sold at QVC.What I've noticed over the years is when the size of the display of a line begins to shrink at Ulta, it's not too soon that the line begins to shrink on QVC either. It may take a few months, but it happens like clockwork. Same thing with a line doing well; Ulta will suddenly have more space dedicated to it and than a month or so later, it's the leading product at QVC.

So, with this in mind:

Mally, which used to have one long aisle of products now has 2 short shelves tucked away. Laura Geller had expanded to a HUGE section of products for the past few years  and as of last week, there were a few boxed sets on a bottom shelf for sale; everything else is gone from my store. 

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds similar to what happened to Mally's company but on a lessers scale. Its' sad to see these independent brands gobbled up the giants, formulas changes and then ruined.  

Frequent Contributor

I have just read on an internet site that the kits were not all sold, put in warehouses and that cost money, then separated for individual sale.  It was part of a posting that included  actual court papers.