Frequent Contributor

I  was recently informed by a friend/manager of ULTA that Laura Geller has filed bankruptcy-chapter 11 or 13 not sure which. Therefore, ULTA has dropped her line.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for the info. I had a feeling something was going on. I went to Ulta a few weeks ago and all Laura Geller was 50-75% off. She was recently on QVC though. Maybe trying to get rid of old products?

Honored Contributor

NOT QUITE correct.

The PARENT company, Glansaol LLC, that owns Laura Geller filed for bankruptcy last Dec. of 2018.  Kinda old news....

They also own Julep and Clark's Botanicals amoung other name brands.

Respected Contributor

Here is what is actually happening, But why would you post this without doing simply what I did and checking it out?:

Glansaol LLC, the owner of Laura Geller, Julep, and Clark’s Botanicals, has announced it has voluntarily filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on December 19th, in an effort to pursue a sale transaction. 

In other words this was a technicality of going through the process of bankruptcy so that these parts of the business could be sold off.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

Here is what is actually happening, But why would you post this without doing simply what I did and checking it out?:

Glansaol LLC, the owner of Laura Geller, Julep, and Clark’s Botanicals, has announced it has voluntarily filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy on December 19th, in an effort to pursue a sale transaction. 

In other words this was a technicality of going through the process of bankruptcy so that these parts of the business could be sold

@Bhvbum 

Is that  a good or bad thing?

Respected Contributor

It’s neither a good thing or a bad thing it’s just simply how business is done. Sometimes companies opt to split up and to accomplish that they declare either Chapter 11 or chapter 13 and that gives them the ability to sell parts of the company.

My guess is that most of Laura Geller’s products are sold on QVC, through her website, or Amazon.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum   Thanks    Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Seems Julep is no longer on QVC.  I had an item on auto-delivery and it was canceled by QVC.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the update and clarification.  I have been finding products from both of these brands at my neighborhood Marshall's and TJ Maxx at amazing prices.

Esteemed Contributor

I was in the Ulta store in Bellingham, WA at the Bellis Fair mall a week ago on Sunday and I saw the displays for the 75% off on both Laura Geller and Julep but they were totally out of stock except a few things. I just think that Ulta hasn't gotten around to taking down those displays yet since there was nothing left in inventory at the Laura Geller display and a lipstick or two at the Julep display.

The owner of Clark's Botanicals bought back his company. For a recap, this article kind of covers part of the Glansaol bankruptcy and sale:

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/julep-customers-livid-new-owner-abruptly-shuts-maven-cosmetics-subscri...

I've seen newer and older inventory for Laura Geller at Winners in Canada and T.J. Maxx and Marshall's in the U.S. and I've also seen Julep stuff too.

Some is older, a google search using the name of a kit (as most of Laura Geller products came in limited edition kits) will give you an idea of how old a kit is by looking for the oldest reviews.

The Southampton Classic eyeshadow and face palette is really nice and was sold at Ulta last year so it's not too old. I saw this both at Winners in Canada and at T.J. Maxx in the U.S. I think it was about $10 in Canada and $7 in the U.S.